Detailing How do you keep your ride looking like new? Discuss it in here.

Is it safe to wax/polish a brand new a5?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 02:02 AM
Default Is it safe to wax/polish a brand new a5?

I just got my new 2010 A5, but it doesn't seem at all like it was waxed before I got it, It was basically clean but I live in germany so rain spots are already covering the car. I was looking up buying wax's and cleaning kits so I could thoroughly and properly keep my new ride looking good but I've heard from multiple sources that you don't wax/polish a brand new car. I googled it first and found conflicting Ideals so what do you guys think, Is it safe to wax/polish my new car or is going to do something to negative(which I doubt) to the paint.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:39 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Jwhisenhunt81
I just got my new 2010 A5, but it doesn't seem at all like it was waxed before I got it, It was basically clean but I live in germany so rain spots are already covering the car. I was looking up buying wax's and cleaning kits so I could thoroughly and properly keep my new ride looking good but I've heard from multiple sources that you don't wax/polish a brand new car. I googled it first and found conflicting Ideals so what do you guys think, Is it safe to wax/polish my new car or is going to do something to negative(which I doubt) to the paint.

Hi Jwhisehunt81,

Question 1: Is it safe to wax a brand new car?
It is perfectly safe to wash and wax your car when it is brand new. The only time you don't want to wax a car is if it gets a new paint job. In that case you want to wait a minimum of 1 month to allow the paint to cure. If the car was baked after it was painted then waxing it right after is perfectly fine.

Question 2: What products should I use for my new car?
For this question I would like to refer you to the thread I created on maintaining your car's paint. See guide here

Truth be told brand new cars also need correction because they are far from perfect!

Why? how?

Here's 3 key reasons:

1. Factory Holograms
When new cars are made at the factory the workers use a buffer and compound after the car has been painted to work the clearcoat to give a shine and also level the clearcoat by taking out imperfections. As they are on a time constraint to only allot certain time for a vehicle they use a harsh compound and buffer without following up with a least abrasive polish and pad combo leaving holograms.

This is what holograms look like

Name:  Car1.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  121.8 KB

anddd a closeup:

Name:  car2.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  124.0 KB

2. Raildust, Industrial Fallout, and Brake Dust
During the transportation process from Factory to Dealership the car is placed on transport trucks and is exposed to the outside elements as the truck drives hundreds of kilometres. During the transport brake dust, rail dust, and industrial fallout lingers around the air and gets imprinted into your paint. If not removed they will begin to oxidize and form what you see as rust spots or dots. The proper way to treat these is by using a clay bar. Before claying you will feel the surface to be rough but after it has been clayed the surface will be smooth as glass.

Here's a picture of a hood that was claybarred from a BMW 530i. This is after 4 handwashes and a pre-soak with foam.

Name:  ClayBar2.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  73.0 KB

3. Dealership induced swirls and surface marring

I always advise my clients when they order brand new cars to not let the dealership wash it. Whenever dealerships wash the cars they use brushes with water and scrub the surface. Imagine taking a shower and using sand paper instead of soap! Dealerships put minor scratches and swirl marks on the vehicle and although it may look clean and shiny when you see it from far but once taken out of the showroom and into the sun you will begin to see all the swirl marks.

See how unclear the light is...you can see all the spider webs around the light.
Name:  BeforeJamie10.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  71.8 KB

After Correction:
Name:  img1.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  26.6 KB

Hope that helps!

Waseem

Old 07-03-2010, 03:17 PM

Yes, it was very helpful. Thank you very much.

Old 07-03-2010, 05:18 PM
1st Gear

noo problem

AND i bet you're especially happy now as Germany advances in the FIFA World Cup. Ooohh that was a good game.

Time to rock my Klose jersey!

Old 07-04-2010, 09:58 AM
2nd Gear

If you have bad acidic rain there, I would use a sealant before I put way on. Klasse all in one is excellent for protecting paint. Here in the states we have to import it, but I'm sure you could find it on a shelf there in Deutschland.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:09 AM

yea, I didn't get to watch that game! I drove to Belgium after work on a trappiest beer run, in which time I found out my car governors out at 130mph... boo. As for the rain, I don't think its acidic.. just constant and dirty... so as soon as I wash my car its already damn dirty again, and my detailing kit hasn't came in yet so i'm stuck crappy washing it every other day until it does.