Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

2003 A4 headlamp automatic leveller icon

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 04:58 PM
1st Gear
Default 2003 A4 headlamp automatic leveller icon

My Audi dealer says my headlamp automatic levelers for the xenon low-beams/headlamp assembly are working OK but he can't figure out how to turn off the related dash icon & buzzer (which both indicate the levelers are not working or not working properly.) It's cost me an hour of his time to research this unsuccessfully and I don't want it to cost me a fortune. I am aware there are several level checkers around the car. Any suggestions, please?

Old 04-12-2013, 07:47 PM
1st Gear

there is a front level sensor and a rear level sensor on the left front and left rear axle. Make sure those are plugged in.. There are also leveling motors in each headlight assembly, if when you turn on your headlights after they have sat for at least 4 hours they should both go through a self adjust which is they dip down and then come back up. If they both do that then the level motors are working. There are ballast/control modules on each headlight as well as a headlight range control module under the glove box. Now based on your year I believe there is a known update for the software for the headlight range control module which is SVM code 55XX.. Those are the areas I would start at.

Old 04-13-2013, 03:15 PM
1st Gear

Hello sincityaudi,

Thanks so much for your helpful reply re my headlamp levellers. At age 81 I'm not as keen as I once was about getting underneath and pulling wheels off (they get heavier every year) so have passed your comments verbatim to my Audi dealer and suggested the service manager google Audi SVM 55XX as I found it full of information.

In contrast to your courteous reply -- on my first occasion for using this website -- I had posted on another part of it, having great difficulty navigating it, and have copied my post and the reply received from tofast2belast . It's strange how vulgar some folk are. One wonders why? (I had in fact tried to research the subject to no avail...). The cheap put-down is really a form of snobbery or perhaps deep-seated insecurity. Sincerely & thanks again, Michael Day

Posted by Michael Day
I'm having great difficulty navigating around this website and probably this post is in the wrong place but I would appreciate assistance. The Audi dealer has spent an hour (at my cost) fiddling around with this to no avail. He says the headlamp levellers work OK but he can't cause the related dash icon and buzzer to go off. Any clues as to how I might go about this? Thank you.
really dude.. you had to go through, find and revive a 3 year old thread to post a non related question.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:32 PM
1st Gear

It's too bad people have become so jaded and crude.. Seems to get worse the more generations become adults and the failures of society and parents become more prevelant.. I an Audi shop foreman and during the day when I get a second I try and jump on the website to help other Audi owners because our cars are some of the most difficult to diagnose and understand because the Germans have their own way of doing things.. I find the happier owners are with their cars the more likely they will be loyal Audi customers for years to come and pass on a good word and since I love Audi cars so much and I love my job it is fun for me to help others in the Audi community.. Let me know if you need any other help..

Old 04-15-2013, 04:07 PM
1st Gear

Hi sincity, perhaps you'd be kind enough to let me have your email address so I can raise a general Audi topic with you which might not strictly fit on this thread and be bounced by the administrator. Thank you, Michael D mjday2@gmail.com