Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Audi 1.8T 99 Audio Install Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 01:49 AM
1st Gear
Default Audi 1.8T 99 Audio Install Questions

I recentlly installed an eclipse 5504 headunit, mbquart comp. speakers, and a jl 12" sub. Now I had the clutch replaced in my car and the mechanic told me that I can only use factory head unit, and that I will not be able to use the subwoofer or the amp. His reason was that it is interferring with the audi computer (he cant get proper or any readouts for that matter). He said thats the reason the catalytic converter went bad and the reason one of the valves is bad. All I want to know is how? Does this mean I cant put in a simple system in my car? I just want to know if im being lied to. Thanks in advance

-Adrian

Old 02-13-2005, 01:23 PM
6th Gear
Default RE: Audi 1.8T 99 Audio Install Questions

That is rediculous. Your mechanic is full of crap. Find a new one. I have an extra amp and a subwoofer.

Old 02-14-2005, 05:52 PM
1st Gear

Thanks...

update:

The mechanic took the radio out and advised me on putting in the factory HU. HE gave me a bulletin on 99 Passat 1.8L and how an aftermarket install of any kind can alter the readout (it doesnt really say anything about ruining the audi computer). I did get the car back with one problem however (the open trunk light keeps going on and off). I smell BS, but I had to ask first. Thanks again

-Adrian

Old 02-16-2005, 04:19 AM
1st Gear

I talked to a second audi dealer, and they told me that you cannot put in aftermarket stereo. Now Im completely confused. What happened (from the mechanic's perspective) is the catalaytic converter did not operate correctly and broke (because of the HU). He also told me that he cannot get reading with a scantool. Last but not least the car is dumping too much gas. I have no idea what to do now. Any help is appreciated..

thanks

Old 04-23-2005, 11:43 AM

Don't know if you have resolved this issue yet, but I think I have some input for you. In Audi and VW vehicles, the is a wire in the radio harness known as the k-wire or something like that. Basically, it is the powere(d) antenna turn-on lead and/or the monsoon amplifier turn on lead. When an aftermarket head unit is connected to these wires, according the audi/vw, it can effectively stop them from getting a good reading with their diagnostic equipment and possibly damage it, but not your cars ecu, at least not what I have heard. So yes, it may be necessary to remove the radio or at least disconnect that wire while they are servicing the vehicle, but as far as I can tell it can be hooked up at other times (if needed). I will say, I do not own an Audo or a VW. I do audio install work for a living and was looking for a little info in this forum when I saw your post. So I signed up to answer your question.......hopefully