Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Clarification on speakers

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 02:20 AM
1st Gear
Default Clarification on speakers

Hey all...I've searched and looked around the forums but I'm a bit confused about what aftermarket speakers will fit in my 99.5 A4. I think it's pretty clear that the rear deck takes 6.5' round speakers. However, I've read in some posts that the front doors take 4' components, and other times I've seen that 5 1/4' fit in the front doors. Which is correct? Does one fit flush, and one with modifications? Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm looking forward to gutting my trashy BOSE system and putting a nice one in. Also, if anyone is looking to sell a nice 4 channel amp and speakers I'd love to hear from you. Thanks in advance everyone!

Old 05-11-2006, 07:24 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Clarification on speakers

I have the same car and I've been doing research on this as well. Some people have replaced the factory speakers with 4" coax speakers. Some others with 5 1/4", which is what I want to do. A component 5 1/4" set.

I just got off the phone with Crutchfield to inquire about the Boston Acoustics SX50. They said that as far as the mounting depth, woofer magnet and tweeter size, it should drop in without a problem. But I would have to make "modifications" on my own because they didn't sell any speaker trims for our cars. So I'll have to build my own trim, drill holes, etc.

I also found some people linking to a website called Nexxia which sells speaker trims and adapters for Audi's but it looks like it's located in England, so I don't know about shipping costs. Could be expensive.

It'd be nice if someone here who ordered from them would let us know how much they paid for shipping.

First thing I need to do is pop open the door panels to see what I'll be dealing with.

Old 05-16-2006, 04:34 AM
1st Gear

Yes, you can get 5.25's in the front doors with some work. The Bostons shouldn't have a problem, they normally use neodynium magnets. I have MB Quart Premium series 5.25 components, and the magnet is just small enough to fit.

Someone around here ordered the adapters and was waiting to get them. They were gonna post some stuff about them after the install.

The 6.5's do drop into rear deck without a problem, and if you do some work, you can get 6.5s in the rear doors, although magnet size really comes into play. I'm leaving my rear deck holes open because Audi trunks seal pretty well, and it makes it a little easier on my sub (not that it had a problem in the first place )

Old 05-16-2006, 12:54 PM
1st Gear

I don't think my 99 A4 1.8T Q has speakers in the rear doors.

I'll see if I get a chance to install the speakers next weekend.

Old 05-16-2006, 06:20 PM
1st Gear

I'll check my mom's 01 A4 today. My 97 with a Bose system had "8" speakers... 2 6.5s in rear deck, 4's in rear door, 4's in front door with 2 tweets. But her's is different... Finally a chance to pull apart her car