Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Comfort Compact install in 2002 B6 A4

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 07:42 PM
1st Gear
Default Comfort Compact install in 2002 B6 A4

Well, what a day today was. 7 hours of installation attempts, and in the end its not really what I wanted although it works.

A4 with Symphony II
Blackberry 8830
TH Bury Comfort Compact BT
TH Bury Comfort Cradle for BB 8830

Goal: Have the phone visible so I can see whose calling, charge the phone while talking, have the phone audio use the stereo’s speakers, mute the stereo automatically during phone use.

I spent several hours pulling trunk panels and the back seat apart looking for the DB25 communication cable referred to in so many articles on the audiworld.com site. I don’t know what package it comes as part of, but it wasn’t one of mine despite the fact I have leather seats, power mirrors, driver seat memory and homelink. Anyway, the point is the cable was nowhere to be found. That ruled out tapping into it.

So I had to run out and purchase some keys to remove the stereo head unit. I was given two multi-vehicle keys that did VW and Mercedes. We tried for over an hour to remove the head unit with no luck whatsoever. It wouldn’t budge, no matter how hard we pushed from behind the unit. Finally, the faceplate of the unit came off on one side, so we pried the other side off its retaining screws and used screwdrivers and hooks to get the unit out. That worked flawlessly, and with no damage to the faceplate (luckily!)

The Comfort Compact has a cable that is supposed to be tapped into a speaker wire. 4 wires, speakers in and out. Various sources said that the TEL+/- on Connector IV of the Symphony was for audio in. Ergo, we assumed we could simply connect the speaker out wires to the TEL connectors and not have to use the Comfort Compact supplied external speaker. We connected the MUTE wire to the IV connector.

With that configuration, every time I adjusted the volume on the Comfort Compact button we blew the 2A fuse in the unit. Finally, we disconnected the wires to the TEL+/- and connected the external speaker and it worked.

So, in the end I was able to get the mute to function, but no phone through the stereo speakers. The LCDs both display PHONE correctly (they obviously get this off the MUTE wire.)

Interestingly enough, there was no requirement to re-enter the radio code after it was plugged back in.

Complaints: The TH Bury manuals suck, totally, as they’re in 15 different languages on the same pages. None of the worded instructions are of any use, and the drawings are nearly as useless. Audi is no better. My VW dealership (that is also an Audi dealer but they hardly know anything about Audi’s) couldn’t tell me whether my car should or shouldn’t have the DB25 cable, in fact, they didn’t know what I was talking about at all. I couldn’t find anything other than pin-outs for the TEL+/-, nothing that explained what they expected. Keys that various people claim are for Audi’s, but don’t work, are totally useless. Considering any thief is likely to have a ton of keys made out of old credit cards, I can’t see the value they’re serving any more.

This setup doesn’t allow me to play music from the BB830 through the car stereo, neither does it give me any way to connect my iPod. I had hoped to get one or the other working, but in the end I wasn’t able to get any help figuring out how to make either work.

Here’s hoping you don’t have such an experience.

Cheers,
Russ