Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

In-Dash DVD install question

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 12:16 AM
Default In-Dash DVD install question

I have recently purchased a 2000 Audi A6 2.7T Quattro, and im new to Audi. I have the Bose Symphony Factory stuff and its alright for most but WEAK for me. I have never had a DVD in dash installed in any vehicle i've owned but am looking to step-up to one soon. I have installed regular cd receivers and such (in American rides), but as i learned by hooking up my 1600 watt amp and two 12 in a box to the bose system, AUDI has a way of making things difficult (at least for me) to modify. I called up crutchfield to ask them about the specifics and they gave me advise but they say they dont give a wiring install manual for a install in a vehicle like this. Spoke about bypassing the factory amp and such... Anyway the way I figure I have 2 choices buy (cheaper) and try to install myself, or buy in a store ($$$) and have them install it. If you have tried either way I would like to hear from you. Your experiences may save me a problem and will give me insight to make the right decision. I live in FL now and im probably gonna go for something w/ Navi to get around easier, so if you know something thats good Navi qualities please mention that also. Thanks

Old 09-30-2006, 02:55 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: In-Dash DVD install question

well...
not too sure about the BOSE, but i just did a Kenwood KVT-817DVD in my 99 A6 and it was quite a bit of work.

i mean i rewired the doors, placed the "brain" in the trunk and next week when the amps are going to be in i will finish it off.

also im not too sure if yours is a single or double din ( mine is single ) but metra's dash kit was pretty shitty fit, i mean i had to sand down some of the filler plate the make it fint into the factory bezzel.
the wiring is quite simple but very time consuming.

my headunit had 6 wires of which 4 had to be connected into the factory plug (power, accesory, ground, ilumination) and the other 2 were for parking brake and reverse, and 2 from the "brain" that was for the power antena and the telephone muting wire.
there were 3 other cables that had to be run into the trunk which were the control cable, fiberoptic and antena wire.
also rewiring the doors eate up about 85ft of cable of which i had to do since i will be running a 4ch amp to drive the front and rears (JL XR650CSi) and a separate monoblock that will drive the sub (12W7)

and the price wasnt that bad either...
90Ft of speaker wire - $18
Kenwood KVT-817DVD - $1200

install time - Est. ~6hrs ( took my time since wanted the install done right and was the first time takin my car apart so i dint want to break anyhting )

Old 10-01-2006, 03:06 PM

I've got a oversized din, its bigger than a double. I've decided to have a pro do the install. I've been told it has to be "hard-wired", so im not f***ing with it myself. I've decided to go with the pioneer 6.5 screen reciever not sure of the model but its the one under a grand. I checked a few sites for user reviews and the worst the could say about it, was that it that it doesnt come with a remote. Not a big deal, I can get the remote for $20, and the unit with install will only cost me $920, and he's hooking up my amp and 12" subs to the receiver for me. The installer needed some parts so I gotta wait until tuesday to put it in. Also, im buying rims this week and getting the timing belt replaced so its gonna be a fun week. BTW you're lucky you have a single din, wish i did.

Old 10-01-2006, 11:50 PM
1st Gear

i think what he mean is that everything had to be rewired, just as i thought.

its time consuming and a lot of work, but very simple.
as far as the fittment of the HU im not sure...
mine is single din but the faceplate is wider and a lil bit taller that the standard din, also mine has the flip down door which i can still use to hide the HU.