Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Having problems with aux input adapter in my 99 A4

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 10:00 AM
1st Gear
Default Having problems with aux input adapter in my 99 A4

I have a 99 Audi A4 with the "Concert" radio. I recently bought the PIE VWR-AUX adapter which will allow me to connect my ipod or satellite radio to my factory headunit. I chose this model because I want an adapter that I can connect to the back of my radio (I don't want one that connects to the CD Changer cable in the trunk).

After testing, I'm only getting sound from the front speakers, not the rear and now I'm not sure if I bought the right adapter for my radio.

I took some pictures to try to illustrate the problems I'm having. Here they are:

Picture 1: shows the connector at the back of the radio with the factory harness that goes into it, unplugged.

Picture 2: shows the 8-pin connector of the PIE VWR-AUX compared to the factory harness. It's less than half the size.

Picture 3: shows the VWR-AUX 8-pin connector plugged into the connector on the back of the radio. The yellow circle shows how some of the pins from the connector on the back of the radio are left exposed because the VWR-AUX is smaller than the factory harness (see pic 2) and won't cover everything.

Picture 4: shows the pin diagram from all connectors on the back of the radio. The yellow circle shows the pins that are left exposed (see pic 3) and what they are for.

I'm having 2 problems:
1. After connecting my ipod using the VWR-AUX, I don't get sound from the rear speakers. Only the front. I don't know if this is because of what pic 3 shows.

2. I temporarily grounded the VWR-AUX to a metal bar I saw in the slot where the factory radio goes because I couldn't find any other metal spot. Everything there is plastic. I'm not sure if that ground is good enough. My car is a 99 Audi A4 with a "Concert" radio. Would you guys know what's a good place to use for grounding?

Thank you in advance.

Old 08-14-2007, 06:12 PM
Default RE: Having problems with aux input adapter in my 99 A4

Looks like you have it set up correctly. The installed adapter shouldn't interfere with your rear speakers. Do your rear speakers play when you remove the adapter?

Also, the ground on the back of the radio (brown slide tab) should be a sufficient enough ground.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:37 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Having problems with aux input adapter in my 99 A4

Yes, once I remove the 8-pin connector and plug the factory harness back in, the rear speakers work correctly.

I emailed Discount Car Stereo where I bought the adapter from and they told me that they sell another adapter, the PIE AA3-HAR, which goes in hand with the PIE VWR-AUX so that all 20 pins are connected. I ordered the part. Hopefully that'll do it.