Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Help..I wanna play music from my phone thru my radio

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 05:44 PM
1st Gear
Default Help..I wanna play music from my phone thru my radio

What's up Audi owners? I'm hoping that you can help me. I don't have music on my android phone, but I do like to play music thru my phone via tunein radio, pandora, and mixcloud. I'm hoping that there is a way that I can hook something up (for less than an arm and a leg), to be able to do so thru my car. I have a 2k5 A8L, and it doesn't seem to have any special AMI or whatever you call it type of hook up. It seems that in my 99 VW Passat, I may be able to use a cassette deck adaptor to play my music but my Audi only has a cd changer in the glove compartment. Thank you in advance for any advice or help that you can offer.

De

Old 12-07-2013, 06:04 PM
1st Gear

You probably will need an "FM radio adapter". You plug a standard 3.5mm plug form the headphone socket on your phone into a 3.5mm socket on the adapter, and the adapter transmits your music into the FM radio in your car.

Not CD-quality sound but that's what the choice is. The biggest problem is that you have to tune it to a place where there's no local FM station, and on road trips that can be hard to find.

Usually $25 on the racks at any truckstop, WalMart, half that price from China on eBay, so you don't have much to lose. Usually plugs into the cigarette lighter to power itself, and some can take SD cards directly or USB drives.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:32 AM
1st Gear
Default Thanks

Thanks for the help Redd, I really appreciate that.

De

Old 12-11-2013, 09:35 AM
1st Gear
Smile Stereo phone jack

You can use a stereo phone jack to connect your stereo to your phone
RadioShack 274-0246 ($3) should do the trick. Attach it between radio and CD changer. When a cable (42-2387 or similar) is plugged into your phone (or any similar device) to music comes from the phone. When unplugged, from the CD changer.
You will need radio information to determine which wires carry Right, Left, & Ground from CD changer to radio.

I did a similar mod on my GMC truck (between radio and XM adapter) and it works so well I will end XM subscription!

I plan to do this mod for my TT when I have some time.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:06 AM
1st Gear

Oh, okay....thanks Daurand....that is also very helpful info. I really apprecaite that.

De

Old 12-12-2013, 01:25 PM
1st Gear

"You will need radio information to determine which wires carry Right, Left, & Ground from CD changer to radio. "
Possibly, but the RTS (ring, tip, sleeve) configuration for 3.5mm miniature stereo plugs has been standardized for a very long time. If you buy a 3.5mm male-to-male cable it should be less than five bucks (ten for a longer brand-name one) and no wiring configuration is needed.
FWIW Target (etc) usually have these for 1/2 the price of Radio Shack.
Beware of "deluxe" cables with big fat plugs, which don't always fit through the extra case on cell phones and music players.