Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

HELP: iPod Integration Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 06:34 AM
1st Gear
Default HELP: iPod Integration Problems

Can anyone tell me what might be going wrong? I have the integrated iPod connection in the glove box of my my '08 A4 S-Line. When I dock my iPhone into the connector, the system recognizes it when I switch over to "CD" (ipod), but the sound only gets played from the phone and not through my car speakers It's strange because this only started happening about a week ago. When I first bought the car, I never had this issue, and it connected and played through my speakers just fine. Has anyone else experienced or seen this problem? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Chris

Old 10-27-2010, 01:11 PM
1st Gear

This is just a guess, but I saw something similar ONCE a long time ago:

One of the pins that makes a connection in the dock connector (the audio out) is not making a connection (while other pins are).

So if you can check for dust or some other debris blocking the connection or wiggle it a bit (make sure the connector's all the way in and not slightly off on an angle) it might start working.

There's also the possibility that the cable itself (inside the dock connector) has "broken" somehow (same problem, but the "loose" connection is in the dock connector itself, not at the connection to your iPhone). In that case you might have to replace the cable

I did see that happen once, exactly as you describe, on a car I had a few years ago, but it turned out that one side of the dock connector wasn't "clicked" because a piece of sand had gotten into the ipod (ouch!)

Old 10-27-2010, 04:36 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the response.

The iphone played fine for a while, then the sound (voices) became muffled but the music was okay. I had to move the phone around in the dock a bit to get it to sit right and then it would play okay. But when I closed the glove box it would go back to messing up again. No it just wont play at all through the speakers, just through the phone. Do you how to remove the integrated ipod dock from the glove box to check that connection back there? I'll check the cleanliness of both my phone and the dock connection as well. I honestly think that dock was never designed to house the iphone (3g or 3gs) due to the way they fit so poorly in the dock. My wife's iphone 4 seems to fit okay but its of a small design. Thanks for the help in advance and the prior tips!