Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Holding the ESP button for 12 seconds...

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 12:01 PM
pms
1st Gear
Default Holding the ESP button for 12 seconds...

I saw somewhere a mention that something happens when you press and hold the ESP button for 12 seconds, so I tried it myself. When the button is first pressed the light on the dash comes one (like usual), but after holding it for 12 seconds the light turned off and after that point the button seemed to be disabled. Is this some sort of valet setting or something? Anyone know?

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-20-2007, 03:53 PM
pms
1st Gear
Default RE: Holding the ESP button for 12 seconds...

Here is some more information...I tried this again last night.

First, when I pull into my driveway, the car gets crossweighted (left front and right rear carrying most of the weight of the car) so I can usually get the ESP indicator to come on as I pull in.

So I started the car (2004 S4), pressed and held the ESP button until the dash indicator turned off again, and then went for a bit of a drive. At this point pressing (or pressing and holding) the ESP button does not seem to do anything, but as I pulled into my driveway I was able to get the indicator to come on (like it normally would with the ESP setting the car defaults to when it starts up).

So I am beginning to think that pressing and holding the ESP button just locks it on until the car is turned off. Seems a little lame, and its interesting that its not mentioned anywhere in the Audi manual.

I just recall someone learning something like "cheat codes" for their car where the right sequence of holding down one control while activating another X times (i.e., holding down the cruise set button while flashing the high beams 3 times while the ignition was in the ON position) could put the ECU in special modes with higher rev limits, optimized launch modes, etc. I would love to learn that the Audi engineers hid some easter eggs like this in our cars.

Anyone know anything about this.

Old 02-19-2007, 12:03 AM

when you press the esp button and the light on the dash comes on, you have just disabled esp, meaning you know have full control to do what you want spin brodies, slide corners etc.

Old 02-20-2007, 05:41 PM
pms
1st Gear