Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

looking for a new (AFFORDABLE) sound system...

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 06:22 PM
Default looking for a new (AFFORDABLE) sound system...

The first thing I'm going to tell you guys is that I don't know jack **** about audio. At all. Nothing.

But I do know (from searching through your posts) that most of you are audiophiles, who like to be extravagant in your stereos. However, bare with me, since I'm trying to upgrade my sound system at an affordable price... this is a complete shot in the dark, but can I get a decent setup for like $600-700? I need a complete rehaul of my system, it's pretty bad... I have four speakers blown out (Blame the previous owner), there's a terrible rattling noise coming from the front-left, and the back-right speaker is kinda dangling from the trunk [8D]

So, any suggestions would be welcome. I've looked around here, but I'd still want to know what can be done with a LIMITED budget, so any and all advice is welcome.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:01 AM
Administrator
Default RE: looking for a new (AFFORDABLE) sound system...

Yes you can get a nice sounding system in that range. Anymore, you don't have to spend huge money for good stuff. What you would've paid $500 for a few years ago in a head unit, is now standard on $200 headunits.

If I were you, I'd look at Alpine head units. A friend got one about a year ago from Crutchfield for $200 (and Crutchfield is sometimes more expensive than other retailers, but you do get a lot more for your money - they give you your dashboard adapter harness, dash trim kit, and full detailed instructions with the purchase). Anyhow, the Alpine was an in-dash CD with iPod control, EQ, and many other nice features.

For my front doors, I went with Kicker 5 1/4" speakers down low, and kept the OEM tweeters in their locations by the door handles. I used cardboard to make an adapter ring so I could fit the speakers centered in the OEM locations, so they wouldn't buzz and rattle against the grilles in the door. I used JVC 6 1/2" speakers in the rear, again using cardboard adapter rings to center them. I had a Coustic 160W amp and a 10" sub from a prior car that I reused, although I did build a new rack and enclosure for the Audi. I bought the amp for about $110 new and the sub was around $75 new. I paid $85ish for the JVC speakers and about the same for the Kickers. An amp wiring kit will run you around $25 or so, and you can get a 50 foot spool of speaker wire in 14 gauge for around $10. When I do a system in a car, I run all new speaker wiring, instead of relying on the factory's tiny wires.

Using those prices as a rough guide, you could do a full system in your car for just under $600. Keep in mind there will be another probably $20 or so for materials to build an enclosure for the sub (plus whatever you want to upholster the box with - I used black leather for my enclosure and amp rack). You can definitely overhaul your system for the price you're looking into. If you have to cut something out for now, do all your inside speakers, head unit, and wiring, and lay in the wiring for an amp and sub to be used later if you want to eventually get one (so you don't have to pull the dash apart again to install the amp wiring). Later, when you get your amp and sub, you can have a fairly quick installation for them, since you've already run your wires.

I should state here though, that depending on what you want in a system, you may NOT meet your price goal. If you're looking for bass that will knock the mortar off buildings as you drive, then you're probably underfunded. For my car, I wanted smooth, clean sound, and a setup that could handle everything from Dave Matthews to Mudvayne to Social Distortion to Korn. For me, a 10" sub is perfect - with the right enclosure, it'll hit hard and extend low, but it's small enough to give the punchy bass that most of my music requires. I also added two extra tweeters to my system, right in the center dash vents, just to create a more even front sound stage - figure in the cost of those if you're into that like I am.

Old 10-13-2007, 06:43 PM

I don't necessarily my A4 to be an earthquake on wheels, but I definitely want it to have some oomph so I can have really crisp, clean sound that's powerful, not just loud, you know? Like the difference between the two is that you can feel the deep throaty bass, and you know you've got a damn good sub, as opposed to it just being really loud and flat. So for subs, would you rather go with JL Audio or Audiobahn?

Old 10-18-2007, 08:13 PM
adm
1st Gear

If your budget is $700 max, I wouldn't try and squeeze a JL or Audiobahn into your setup unless you find some really good deals on used equipment.