Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Need help before ordering key fob - Have searched already!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 12:13 AM
1st Gear
Default Need help before ordering key fob - Have searched already!!!

I know, I know, this guy only has basically no posts and he's asking about a very common problem. Hasn't he SEARCHED?!

Well yes, I have. For about three hours now, including two other audi/vw sites and google. I would not waste time asking this but all of those ended up the with the same answer: "This has been asked before, (link)" but the link is dead because it's from around 2005.

Straight to the point: Just bought a 2001 A4 used. Only came with one key, no remote. The car was repossessed at one point, I'm sure, because the driver's door lock cylinder was popped and spins freely. I can only unlock my car on the passenger side, which is quite annoying.

I am looking into getting a key fob, instead of replacing the lock cylinder.
I have pulled the codes from my trunk and took a picture of the alarm sticker.
Possibly relevant trunk codes:
4K0 (TKV) Radio remote controlled central locking operated from inside
5D2 (TRF) Carrier frequency 315 MHz

Alarm sticker codes: (Pictures attached also)
43R - 001057
DOT27 M23100AS2
Sideways gray code: 4D0 010 138 E

I believe this is the fob I need:
http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-..._Fob/ES248873/
however I am not 100% certain. My VIN number doesn't line up exactly like theirs lists. Where does the second "W" come from? My VIN is WAUDC68D01A140142 (let me know if posting that is not allowed... I have seen that on forums before.)

There is no Audi dealership in my town, or I would ask them about replacement options first, at least to see if my car just needs a remote.

The other big thing I wanted to ask is that I saw somewhere while searching that two remotes are required to program it, or something similar. I only have one key, but I'm sure it has a transmitter inside it.

If you need any more info about the car, please ask. If this has been explained in detail somewhere, very clear-cut, please tell me. A link to a dead post from 7 years ago that links to a post that has been deleted doesn't help me, but that's all I keep finding.

Thanks!