Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Subwoofers suggestion needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 06:43 PM
1st Gear
Default Subwoofers suggestion needed

Ok, its time to upgrade subs for A4... My old KEF's are just that, OLD =)

Subs will be installed as "infinite baffle", plate is already made, now need to decide on which one (getting a pair):

Elemantal Design 9Kv.2

or

Image Dynamics ID8D2 V.3

Both about the same price after shipping, both reputable... Any input? Personal experiences with either brand/model?

Thanks,
D

Old 04-24-2006, 10:43 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Subwoofers suggestion needed

BabyCarlsson! What's up? Nice to see you on Elite Car Audio too! To clear some things up: The Arc Audio ARC 8" is also IDENTICAL to the eD9Kv2 AND ID8 - they're all built by Image Dynamics. ID is out of stock on nearly everything at the moment while they move buildings.

I suggest moving to a subwoofer with as much surface area as possible. There's some changes with models though: The 10", 12" and 15" "ARC" series is based on the "IDSPL" subwoofers from a few years ago. They've got a little fuller sound than the "ID" or "IDQ".

They're ALL great subs for IB - but again, I suggest going with more surface area than the 8".

Old 04-24-2006, 11:44 PM
1st Gear

csuflyboy - should have known, with high end equipment you have - I'd find you there!

I've done my first IB in the mid 90's after a friend who was authorized KEF dealer suggested to give a try to a pair of their 10"s - the sound quality was incredible. Since then, I've been a big fan of IB installation (as long as its done right). Cone area - to be honest with you, as the time went by, I realised that a pair of quality 8"s properly installed - I'm happy with... My last install in W201 Mercedes - used the last pair of his KEF 8"s as well:

Made new grills for the deck:

KEFs - time takes its toll on the speakers! So thats why I'm looking for another pair of 8"s for A4. Already made the baffle plate for it, as you can see on the pic - it completely mimics the bottom of the rear deck with all of its channels/grooves, so once wraped in the factory matched carpet and thin gasket throughout the perimeter - it will be well sealed up against the deck. All of the other openings/ports/holes of the rear deck will be sealed from the inside the cabin:

I know that ARC, ED or ID - all great subs, and I'm sure I'd be happy with any of them, and since there is no way for me to compare/listen to them side by side, I'm just hoping for the best estimated calculation on which one would work best out of those three...

Thanks!
D

Old 04-28-2006, 05:28 AM
3rd Gear

ALPINE TYPE R'S....nuff said

Old 04-30-2006, 09:50 PM
1st Gear

not what you asked about, but look into the infinity kappa perfects as well. Not known for SPL, more for SQ, but the definition you'll get from a sealed enclosure is great. I ran a single 12 in a sealed box w/ 300w rms. no issues w/ the super lows nor mid-lows.