Go Back  AudiForums.com > Audi Tech > Exterior
how to paint wheels (properly)? >

how to paint wheels (properly)?

Exterior Talk about your rims, body kits, and other exterior mods here.

how to paint wheels (properly)?

Old 11-02-2011, 06:47 PM
1st Gear
Default how to paint wheels (properly)?

I have a black 99 a4 and I want to paint the wheels bronze, but I don't want to waste money having someone else do it. But then again I don't want my wheels turning up badly. Can this be a DIY project or will I be in over my head? Give me any advice you can (a tutorial would be awesome too)

Old 11-05-2011, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by alexmurphy View Post
I have a black 99 a4 and I want to paint the wheels bronze, but I don't want to waste money having someone else do it. But then again I don't want my wheels turning up badly. Can this be a DIY project or will I be in over my head? Give me any advice you can (a tutorial would be awesome too)
As long as you got some time on your hands it should go pretty smooth. Just take the wheel off, clean it (very important), clean it, clean it, sand the old paint off, tape off the tire so you dont end up painting that too, the VHT paints are absolutely fabulous. I've done about 4 sets of wheels with them and never a problem.

lay on a couple layers of base coat, correct any errors (ie. runs), then let them sit over night, clean em off again really really really really good and then shoot your clear.

just make sure you clean it nice or you'll be disappointing in the results. and if there are any hits in the wheel, you can fix it with some. Instructions for applying that are on the can =).

Old 11-05-2011, 04:43 PM
Tech Guru

if you search there is a diy on here about how to do it..... as stated, clean and scuff sand the wheels

as stated, don't paint the tires