Exterior Talk about your rims, body kits, and other exterior mods here.

Tinting Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 02:30 PM
1st Gear
Default Tinting Help

What is a good percentage to get my audi windows tinted, I've heard 28% is a good number. Also what am I looking at as for cost?

Old 05-16-2004, 05:04 PM
6th Gear
Default RE: Tinting Help

35% is what I have on mine. Anything more and it begins to look kind of ghetto IMHO. I paid around $200-250 for mine.

Old 05-16-2004, 05:39 PM
3rd Gear

If I can toot my own horn for a second...
This is the one topic where I have the most experience and knowledge.

I researched and spoke with people in all the related professions and learned an enormous amount of info regarding tinting. I spoke with tint installers, tint manufacturers, auto glass makers, chemical engineers, scientists, DOT officials and other politicos. I learned way more info than I needed, but if I can pass on any info that can help you, I'd be glad to do that.

In short: Tint your windows and you will increase the life of your interior (especially your leather seats). All of the better tints have 99% UV protection, regardless of darkness. Even the 50% tint, which is barely noticeable to the eye, has 99% UV protection.

Secondly, dark interiors look darker when compared to cars with light interiors, but that is purely a cosmetic and subjective issue.

Also, be aware of the state laws regarding tinting before you pursue the job. Most violations are enforced as an add-on to another violation or at the time of inspection/registration renewals. It is disheartening to go through the time and expense of tinting your car, only to find out that you have to have it removed (at your expense), because you went too dark or tinted your windows at all (some states prohibit the tinting of some of the windows).

The most popular and reputable brands (in alphabetical order) are:
Huper Optik
Johnson
Llumar
Madico
SolarGard
Sun Guard

My top choices/impressions are:
Huper Optik
SolarGard
By the way: I have SolarGard HP Charcoal 43

When you choose to do the tinting, these are the most basic questions to have answered when shopping for an installer:
1. How long will it take? What is the curing process time?
2. Can I see examples of your work?
3. What is your guarantee on the install?
4. What brand and type tinting does the price include? Make sure you understand the warranty for the type of film quoted - many manufacturers warranty their different grades of films with differing warranties.
5. How do you finish the top edge of roll down windows? Is there a gap, or no gap?
6. Will the rear window be installed in one piece?

That's a start. Details on tint types, and costs of installs are other areas to discuss. But first, look around, ask to see other tint jobs from Audi owners, and get a better idea of how you feel about it.

Do some investigating based on the above and if there are any other questions, feel free to email me.

Here's a pic of my car with the SolarGard HP Charcoal 43........

Old 05-16-2004, 05:45 PM
1st Gear

what is that above the kid asked a simple question on what window tint he should get.
and you wrote a life story. wow[X(]

Old 05-16-2004, 05:58 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: active1331

what is that above the kid asked a simple question on what window tint he should get.
and you wrote a life story. wow[X(]
I chose to elaborate because so many people make mistakes on tint and have regrets later. Rather than give a simple answer to what is really a complex decision, I chose to open the subject so that he'd realize there's more to it than just, " ...35% is what I have on mine. Anything more and it begins to look kind of ghetto IMHO."

Not to say Jestnomen's answer wasn't valid and to the point; I just think there's more to the decision than a number.

"Ignorance breeds further ignorance."

Old 05-16-2004, 06:38 PM
1st Gear

hey I really appreciate your advice. I didn't think it would have been so complicated. I will post me intitial findings next week, thanks again.

Old 05-16-2004, 09:56 PM
6th Gear

forgot to include the fact that using matallic tint can have adverse affects on radio reception from what i've heard.

Old 05-17-2004, 01:47 AM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: Jestnomen

forgot to include the fact that using matallic tint can have adverse affects on radio reception from what i've heard.
Actually, radio signal interference is a rare occurence that is mitigated by a few factors:
1. The radio antenna is embedded in the glass that is tinted (true of Audis) and the antenna has begun to degrade.
2. The area of reception is remote from any local repeaters; triangulation is minimal if it exists at all.
3. The tint in question is of inferior quality. Older sandwiched tints with metal sheets cause parabolic changes of the radio signals. Some even absorb the signal and reduce its magnitude. The newer "sputtered" and ceramic tints do not sandwich a metallic sheet; radio signals are undistorted and undisturbed by the tint.

Old 05-17-2004, 10:28 AM
6th Gear

well actually it's not all that rare, especially if you listen to AM frequencies. But thanks for all the great info.

Old 05-17-2004, 01:16 PM
Site Moderator

metallic tint causing bad reception is not rare. I have seen it dozens of times actually. For an audi its especially common cuz of the antenna location.

Thanks for the tint info, tho, cuz I am looking to have mine done this month.

Quick Reply: Tinting Help