Exterior Talk about your rims, body kits, and other exterior mods here.

Tinting Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 01:55 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Tinting Help

ORIGINAL: Jestnomen

well actually it's not all that rare, especially if you listen to AM frequencies. But thanks for all the great info.
AM radio signals are susceptible to an array of factors that may affect the reception. But in reference to metallic tint, there is no AM antenna and, I repeat...
The tint in question is of inferior quality. Older sandwiched tints with metal sheets cause parabolic changes of the radio signals. Some even absorb the signal and reduce its magnitude. The newer "sputtered" and ceramic tints do not sandwich a metallic sheet; radio signals are undistorted and undisturbed by the tint.

Old 05-17-2004, 01:59 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: brrman

metallic tint causing bad reception is not rare. I have seen it dozens of times actually. For an audi its especially common cuz of the antenna location.

Thanks for the tint info, tho, cuz I am looking to have mine done this month.
Maybe rare is a subjective term for you. I was referring to the newer cars with current high end tint. Having said that, I repeat...
1. The radio antenna is embedded in the glass .... and the antenna has begun to degrade.
2. The area of reception is remote from any local repeaters....
3. The tint in question is of inferior quality. Older sandwiched tints with metal sheets cause parabolic changes of the radio signals. Some even absorb the signal and reduce its magnitude. The newer "sputtered" and ceramic tints do not sandwich a metallic sheet; radio signals are undistorted and undisturbed by the tint.

Old 05-17-2004, 03:09 PM
Site Moderator

I was speaking of aftermarket metallic tinting. Im sure high end cars with factory tint are tested and the radio reception is fine.

ImolaS4 I dunno if you get really defensive or what, but you come off as that. We are not disagreeing with you and we do have an opinion worth giving. There's no reason to keep pressing issues like you do.

Old 05-17-2004, 03:36 PM
1st Gear

So now I need suggestions for my 2003 black A4. I know imolas gave me some brands, I guess I just need the suggestions on the finish.

Old 05-17-2004, 04:42 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: brrman

I was speaking of aftermarket metallic tinting. Im sure high end cars with factory tint are tested and the radio reception is fine.

ImolaS4 I dunno if you get really defensive or what, but you come off as that. We are not disagreeing with you and we do have an opinion worth giving. There's no reason to keep pressing issues like you do.
And I was speaking of aftermarket tints, too. Some are of better quality and technically superior.

---------------------------------------------

No, as you disagree I just defend my points; if I seem overly sensitive, I'm not.

I'm sure your opinions are well intended, but if I think they may be mistaken or misguided viewpoints, I feel compelled/obligated to defend my points with further evidence.

Lastly, it may be a case of misinterpretation. Sometimes you may say something that I misread or maybe I didn't make myself clear or explain the details as I intended. So, with a response, I am trying to clarify any confusion.

With specific regard to this post.... It's just that, with this issue (tinting), I feel very well informed due to months of reading, research, telephone calls, and direct use/experience. I feel I have a lot of valuable info that I can pass on. I believe there is a lot of misinformation and/or supposition about the current industry of window tint, too.

-----------------------------------------------

It's all good bro. No hard feelings.

Old 05-17-2004, 06:52 PM
1st Gear

so yeah, what finish does everyone recommend for my black 03 Audi?

Old 05-17-2004, 06:57 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: absltcit33

so yeah, what finish does everyone recommend for my black 03 Audi?
Finish? Not sure what you mean?

Old 05-18-2004, 01:00 AM
1st Gear

sorry I mean like metallic, charcoal, mirror?

Old 05-18-2004, 01:20 AM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: absltcit33

sorry I mean like metallic, charcoal, mirror?
I wouldn't do mirror. It just looks cheap (or ghetto to some people) - the better grade tints don't come with a mirror finish either.
Metallic only if you go with the better grade metallics; they have a slight shine to them, but, more importantly, they are very durable.
Charcoals are the standard - tried and true - and they come in a wider range of tints and LT percentages. The better charcoals are as good as the metallics without the slight shine. I think charcoals are the classiest of the bunch - just my opinion.

It's very subjective. I'd ask to see other cars with their tints and make the choice based on your own gut feeling - you have to live with it.

Old 05-18-2004, 01:24 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: imolas4

And I was speaking of aftermarket tints, too. Some are of better quality and technically superior.

---------------------------------------------

No, as you disagree I just defend my points; if I seem overly sensitive, I'm not.

I'm sure your opinions are well intended, but if I think they may be mistaken or misguided viewpoints, I feel compelled/obligated to defend my points with further evidence.

Lastly, it may be a case of misinterpretation. Sometimes you may say something that I misread or maybe I didn't make myself clear or explain the details as I intended. So, with a response, I am trying to clarify any confusion.

With specific regard to this post.... It's just that, with this issue (tinting), I feel very well informed due to months of reading, research, telephone calls, and direct use/experience. I feel I have a lot of valuable info that I can pass on. I believe there is a lot of misinformation and/or supposition about the current industry of window tint, too.

-----------------------------------------------

It's all good bro. No hard feelings.
nah man - no hard feelings. Just not sure about your tone half the time - maybe its just me. Comes across as argumentative when someone posts a viewpoint contrary to your own. But thats what this forum is about. If you (I mean anyone) post your opinions in a well informed manner, most people will pick up on that and come away with the correct info. You dont need to crush the misinformation, simply support your own opinions adequately.

Anyway - its nice to have another informed member to deal with all the noobs... Jest, Slim and I were getting sick of answering the same questions over and over... heh heh

absltcit33 : Leave the mirror tint to the Neons and Accords of the world.

Quick Reply: Tinting Help