Exterior Talk about your rims, body kits, and other exterior mods here.

Why does the paint chip...hood...2011

Old 10-18-2015, 04:27 PM
1st Gear
Default Why does the paint chip...hood...2011

OK, we've had Subarus and Acuras. Still have a 09 Forester.

We bought a CPO A4, 2011, 24,000 miles. Love it. Even had the oil concumption problem and Audi took care of it. But my bitch is the PAINT!

We don't travel bad roads, don't live in the middle of nowhere, no hailstorm damage. But, we've got 4 or 5 paint chips on the leading area of the hood!
The Audi is white and the chips penetrate the base color and into the primer.
What kind of crap is that?

Have had a FEW chips when the Acura had 230,000 miles traveled but nothing like this. Anyone have any input any similar problem? Just shouldn't happen in today's auto industry.

Sgt Steve

Old 10-26-2015, 05:21 AM
1st Gear

Any pics of the said paint defect? I'm thinking it may have been resprayed already.

Old 10-31-2015, 07:49 PM
1st Gear
Default Cannot get a good copy attached

Originally Posted by lloyden
Any pics of the said paint defect? I'm thinking it may have been resprayed already.
Do you want to send me an email address?

Sergeant Steve

Old 03-28-2016, 05:30 PM
1st Gear
Default email address?

Originally Posted by lloyden
Lloyd, email for pics

Old 04-07-2016, 04:31 PM

My mom has a 13 A4 with 40K on it and the front end is peppered with rock chips. I recently wrapped it in clear bra (Xpel paint protection film) so it won't get any worse. If you plan on keeping the car I recommend you look into that.

EPA regulations force automakers to use more eco friendly paints which, unfortunately for the consumer, means softer paint which is more likely to chip/scratch...

If the car was repainted at some point that could also be why it's more susceptible to chips. Who knows what kind of paint they used or prep work they did.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:29 PM
1st Gear

I am fairly sure that this hood has been repainted. One of the better service people did tell me that 3M makes the same type of "shield" or "bra". Certain ones even cover the entire hood area. I may, not sure, but may elect not to have anyone touch the hood if the film doesn't do the job.

Let's face it, when there is no factory setup and furnace there will probably be a repeat if it is repainted. Thanks for the input. Now where do you get the Xpel Paint Protection?

Sgt Steve

Old 04-15-2016, 10:01 AM

Check out the Xpel website dealer locator. Make sure you go to an authorized dealer who is factory trained. Don't use the 3m stuff, it is not the same and you will not be pleased! You can do the full hood, but it is expensive. Personally, I prefer doing the whole hood because it looks the best (no lines) and it protects the whole thing. I actually wrapped my entire car in the stuff, so I have no worries driving these awful New England roads.

Old 12-18-2016, 08:14 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by DiamondPaintProtection
Check out the Xpel website dealer locator. Make sure you go to an authorized dealer who is factory trained. Don't use the 3m stuff, it is not the same and you will not be pleased! You can do the full hood, but it is expensive. Personally, I prefer doing the whole hood because it looks the best (no lines) and it protects the whole thing. I actually wrapped my entire car in the stuff, so I have no worries driving these awful New England roads.
Hey New England you got my attention. When you say you wrapped the entire vehicle in the diamond protection what exactly is it? Fiber, coating, paint. What was the approximate cost? Thanks in advance.
Sgt Steve