Forum Issues Discuss any issues you are having with the new forums here.

Engine Coolant Temperature Hot

Old 10-13-2008, 03:50 PM
Default Engine Coolant Temperature Hot

I have an A4 2.8, 2001. Recently, I had spent upon thousands of dollars fixing numerous problems. The most costly fix about two months ago at the dealer was replacing some sensors when the engine check light came on. Just a couple of days ago, my wife drove home with the engine coolant temperature flashing red. I opened the hood and the engine wasn't particularly hot. I checked the coolant level, it was fine.

Next morning, I started the engine, the temperature gauge was reading already at 90 degree (1/2 way mark) and only a couple of minutes later idling, the temperature shot up to 120 degree with the ECT warning light flashin red.

I am not mechanical inclined. I searched through your forum but found no one has a similar problem. I think I have found the ECT sensor but felt that it had better be replaced by a mechanic. It is the sensor or the thermostat that's shut? I had paid for the work but just didn't want to be charged by the dealership or gouge by a questionable mechanic.

Today after leaving the car sat basically over two nights, I inserted the key and clicked to accessories. The temperature gauge showed 60 degree (lowest bar) and stayed there for a few minutes and then 90 degree ... it even stayed there after I drove it around a block. That's quite puzzling, the ECT warning night didn't come on. However, there engine warning light came on and stayed on. I am now totally confused. Are these two problems related?

Thank you in advance of any suggestion.

Last edited by TnhW3218; 10-13-2008 at 06:49 PM.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:00 AM

i just had my water pump, timing belt, thermostat, and cam shaft seals all replaced. i took my car in becuase my temp gauge was pegged at hot, turns out my water pump was gone. they did the work at a local shop, i drove away, still pegged at hot, took it back, they replaced the engine temp. sensor (i dont know the actual name for it) for free and no more temp gauge issues.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:48 PM

Thank you Mctavish11. I am leaning towards the engine coolant temperature sensor as well. I will have to take it to the shop if no one else can provide more helpful hints.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:40 PM

it seems that water pumps are a bit of a problem, i have 96 2.8 a4 and she also get hot somtimes, except that mytempreture gauge does not work all the time, dont know if its the sensor or the gauge on in the dash.

Any way, im off to replace my water pump as well, there goes the $$'s