General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'03 Allroad 6 spd- won't go into any gear

Old 01-15-2012, 01:47 PM
1st Gear
Default '03 Allroad 6 spd- won't go into any gear

Really need some help here guys...I have an '03 Allroad 6 spd, 84K miles, fully maintained by Audi since day one. The problem is, it won't go into any gear when I press the clutch, however, if I force it into ANY gear (mostly 2nd), it then goes very smooth into all gears, but as soon as I release the clutch and depress it, same thing: muscle it into any gear first, then it operates smoothly again. This only happens while sitting at the light, or before takeoff...everything is normal during driving. Now, here's what's been done. Audi diagnosed it as TO bearing problem- they went ahead and replaced everything: clutch, pressure plate, TO bearing, pilot bearing and all. Same issue. Second guess: shifter box with linkage. Just installed whole new setup from Audi (shifter, shifter box and all linkages-surprisingly inexpensive at $195). My Audi dealer was toying with the idea of it being an internal problem with synchros...(usually 1-2nd synchro goes bad on Audis), but ruled it out, since there's no grinding into any gear (associated with synchro problems), and also the fact that when it's hard to go into gear, all gears are affected, but when it lets in, all 6 forward and the reverse are working perfect. Another hint: when started in 1st gear, the car doesn't lunge forward, eliminating the possibility of clutch not engaging completely. What gives? Could bleeding the system help? That's the only thing I haven't tried. Any help is greatly appreciated.