General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1.8t cam

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 11:37 PM
1st Gear
Default 1.8t cam

Ok so I put the head on then installed the cams with crank in mid stoke aligned the cams timing marks torqued cams to 8ft lbs in the right pattern then put #1 to tdc installed timing belt all marks aligned good but when I tried to spin the crank the cams won't spin idk whats wrong any help would be appreciated

Old 02-03-2016, 08:50 AM
2nd Gear

Check and make sure you don't have one (or more) of the cam caps on backward. They must be put on in the correct orientation due to having been machined in that position. In addition to that, they have to go back onto the same place on the head, they are not interchangeable. If you reverse one, it can and will likely bind the cam. THEN, double check everything. Turn the engine over by hand and check to make sure there are no issues before attempting to start it. It's almost impossible to bend a valve by turning the engine over by hand and stopping if hit a hard stop.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:49 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by dave944
Check and make sure you don't have one (or more) of the cam caps on backward. They must be put on in the correct orientation due to having been machined in that position. In addition to that, they have to go back onto the same place on the head, they are not interchangeable. If you reverse one, it can and will likely bind the cam. THEN, double check everything. Turn the engine over by hand and check to make sure there are no issues before attempting to start it. It's almost impossible to bend a valve by turning the engine over by hand and stopping if hit a hard stop.
Thanks, i know they are in the right order because they are numbered but their are little arrows on each one do you know witch way they should face?

Old 02-04-2016, 07:39 AM
2nd Gear

I'm not sure. Usually arrows would point toward the front of the engine. Did you use oil or some assembly lube on the cam before putting the caps on? Arrows or not, I always mark and number them myself as I remove them to make sure.

I just did a little Googling for images of the head and cam caps. Here's an idea. Standing on the intake side of the head, look at the numbers stamped into the caps. If any of them are upside down, it's probably on backward. You can also verify them by looking at the mating surfaces. Compare the shapes of the discoloration of the exposed areas of the mating surfaces. There will always be shapes or patterns that match one side or the other because the oil and heat will burn a definite pattern that would outline the edges of the mating surfaces.

Last edited by dave944; 02-04-2016 at 08:20 AM.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:03 AM
1st Gear

I'm not sure. Usually arrows would point toward the front of the engine. Did you use oil or some assembly lube on the cam before putting the caps on? Arrows or not, I always mark and number them myself as I remove them to make sure.

I just did a little Googling for images of the head and cam caps. Here's an idea. Standing on the intake side of the head, look at the numbers stamped into the caps. If any of them are upside down, it's probably on backward. You can also verify them by looking at the mating surfaces. Compare the shapes of the discoloration of the exposed areas of the mating surfaces. There will always be shapes or patterns that match one side or the other because the oil and heat will burn a definite pattern that would outline the edges of the mating surfaces.
You know what I didn't put assembling line on that might be part or it but I bought the car with the heads off and cams out I got a good deal on it but anyways tomorrow I'll check the arrows and see witch way they are facing I appreciate the help

Old 02-05-2016, 08:57 AM
2nd Gear

You can't just assemble them dry. It takes a few seconds for oil to reach the cams when starting and it will more than likely score the surfaces. The arrows might point toward the intake side of the head on these but I'm not 100% sure. Check the mating marks created by oil exposure on the caps to verify that they are oriented correctly. I'm not sure about the arrows but the marks do not lie. Use a good assembly lube on all the bearing surfaces and lobes of the cams. This will insure no damage to the bearing surfaces (which cannot be repaired on the heads) will occur during the starting process until normal oil flow starts.

Last edited by dave944; 02-05-2016 at 11:31 AM.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:39 AM
1st Gear

You can't just assemble them dry. It takes a few seconds for oil to reach the cams when starting and it will more than likely score the surfaces. The arrows might point toward the intake side of the head on these but I'm not 100% sure. Check the mating marks created by oil exposure on the caps to verify that they are oriented correctly. I'm not sure about the arrows but the marks do not lie. Use a good assembly lube on all the bearing surfaces and lobes of the cams. This will insure no damage to the bearing surfaces (which cannot be repaired on the heads) will occur during the starting process until normal oil flow starts.
Yeah I have some I just got in a hurry and didn't think to even put any on but do you think no assemble line would stop it from spinning by hand? Also the chain on the cams feels pretty tight how tight should it be I know oil runs the tensioner so I would think it world have a little play but idk

Old 02-06-2016, 02:28 PM
2nd Gear

It probably wouldn't stop it from being turned by hand due to the clearances machined into the system. The tensioner is spring loaded on top of the oil pressure so tightness will vary on the chain when you reassemble them. I'd be more worried if it was way loose. But if it's really hard to turn by hand, it's got to be a cap on upside down. It doesn't take much to lock it up due to the close tolerances. Of course you're going to get some resistance from the valve lifters but you should be able to turn it by hand with a little force. I mean if you cannot turn it at all with as much force as you can apply by hand, there's definitely a binding issue you need resolve.

What is the year model of your A4 and the Engine/Transmission code on your car. I can look it up in my Elsawin Software and see if there is any information on the orientation of the cam caps in there.

Last edited by dave944; 02-06-2016 at 02:31 PM.