General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1985 Audi 5000s Non-Turbo.. Computer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 08:40 PM
1st Gear
Default 1985 Audi 5000s Non-Turbo.. Computer?

While I am sure there is an underlying problem to this, I need to find out first if it should have happened or not in the first place: In an attempt I to try and find out if its my computer that is bad/slowly failing, I disconnected it, started the car, and it ran like it had before. So, I reconnected the computer and tried to start it again but, no go. Fuel was getting to the motor. But without doing anything else to the car at all and just disconnecting the computer (Silver box in trunk) starting it, then reconnecting it, I am not sure what the heck could have happened in that process.......other than I finished off an already failing computer I guess.
I am just hoping that for some reason at all, someone else has done this or knows why I maybe SHOULDNT have done this. Thanks for any help!
~Mettler.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:45 PM
1st Gear
Default This is an Automatic. Not Quattro.

.....by the way.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:50 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: This is an Automatic. Not Quattro.

The ECU sn't in the trunk on that car. It shoud be right next to the passengers right foot behind the carpeting panel. Maybe you unplugged an alarm box with an immobilizer. Regardless, the car should not run with the computer unplugged.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:55 PM
1st Gear
Default UPDATE

After I let the car sit for about an hour or more, I tried to start it again and now it starts but then chokes out and dies within about 2-4 seconds. Eventually, it just wont start at all. No gauges work, no dash lights (seatbelt etc..) buzzer or anything. I have all lights, signals, radio (which is factory and posessed) power windows, roof etc..
Thanks for the tip on the computer local. Now the mission is to figure out what that is in the trunk......

Old 01-30-2008, 08:29 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: UPDATE

I had both a 1985 and 1987 5000S, and I don't remember a silver box in the trunk. Any way it definetely was not your computer (ECU), if it's disconnected you car can not start.
Check the fuel injection pump/relay and the fuel pump.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:37 AM
1st Gear
Default ANOTHER UPDATE

So, after looking at this "Silver Box" in better light today and had removed it, I found a freakin' MOTOROLA tag on it. Followed its cables and wires and found one going to the front of the car underneath the dash on the passenger side which had a telephone jack on it. The others being the power wires etc. I completely disconnected this system so that it could actually be removed from the car.
Now I seem to think that this was some kind of old car phone/alarm/anti-theft system etc.. of some kind. And if it is some kind of anti-theft system, then thattells me there would have to be a break in the cars ignition system for example, to go to this A.T system and then back to the car.
Any ideas, leads on what this thing is? We know now its obviously after market ... but how to identify it is the thing now. Thanks again everyone...
~Mettler.