General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Battery D-E-A-D

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 02:05 PM
Default Battery D-E-A-D

Car: 2002 Audi Allroad Quattro 2.7 L w/ tiptronic & 38,000 miles. Battery cell defective. Where can I get a reasonably priced replacement battery? I looked at the usual places and after giving model and make I was advised to buy an "AUTOLITE" battery at Checkers (OOOOH-KAAAY). Interstate has a larger battery that comes closer to the original size for only double the price but they too don't disclose any battery details such as cranking amps. This car is currently located in Honolulu (warm temperature) but will be shipped in a year or so to Washington state, so I cannot get any anorexic batteries. I haven't pulled the old battery out yet because of the way it is covered (I'll have to reserve a day for this) but does someone already happen to know the original battery brand name and/or exact battery specs? I was leaning towards getting a Bosch battery, but their website doesn't list Audi Allroad Quattro's... Thanks in advance...

Old 01-30-2008, 08:12 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Battery D-E-A-D

You should be able to use any brand with battery type 49, I think this is the Type for A6 2.7 and the4.2 engine. This Type 49 will have lots of cranking amps, like about 800 - 850 CCA, depending on manufacturer. You wouldn't need that much CCA if you were staying in Hawaii. Some VW/ Audis came from the factory with their own brand made by Varta, but you don't have to find this brand for replacement.
If any one else has any other ideas, go ahead.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:41 AM
Default RE: Battery D-E-A-D

Thanks.