General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1996 Audi A4 V6 Q: Steering Strange Sounds

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 08:37 AM
1st Gear
Default 1996 Audi A4 V6 Q: Steering Strange Sounds

Hey guys,

Hopefully someone's gonnagive me an advice.
I have a 1996 Audi A4 2.6 V6 Quattro and I'd like to know what's up with its steering. When I drive the car and start turningthe steering wheelall the way to the left I can hear kind of two or three clicking or snapping sounds (don't know the right word for it 'cause english is not my mother language)everytimethe steering wheel makes movement and is somewhere between45 to 90 degrees to the left fromits center position. When I do the same and turn to the right I hear nothing special at all so that sideis allright. The sounds seemtobe coming outdirectly from under the steering wheel compartment or the steering joint and it's like some part in there was rubbing against another orlike some kind of friction ofa wornjoint. You can also feela slight clickingby your hand when holding the steering wheel and turning it -but only when between 45-90 degrees every spin to the left. When the carstands still and I turn the steering wheel to the left there's also this "feel", but merely not any sound. Only when I start pulling out with the wheels turned all way to the left sometimes I can hear a little (and different) noise which sounds something like "clang", like if a spring snapped, slinged or poped out somewhere in the front. All these sounds, whether the car is at a stop or in motion, are sort of quiet and not so much disturbing, but still noticeableand I wonder whatit might mean... Now if I'll say it correctly: The car had its bottom hinder arms replacedfor both front wheels and also front wheel clappers(another word for it in dictionary was a pivot or gudgeonor wuddayacallit) for both wheels in the front and the car tends to go quite straight when driving and Idon't holdthe steering wheel. Only after approximately 5 seconds it tends to goa little bit to the right side but that might be caused by the road horizontal angle or it might be the wheels (17 inch 235cm wide tyre) so that the car wanders a little bit.
Is there a general way to say: This and this is wrong with your car or is it hard to say from what I described? I know I need to go and see a mechanic, but you guys are pros andI would like to know how much money are the mechanics going to take forthe repair and whetherit is safe to drive such car..?

Thanks a lot
Stay fine everybody

Brian, Central Europe[:-]