General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2000 A6Q A/C issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 04:56 PM
1st Gear
Default 2000 A6Q A/C issues

So the weather is getting nicer and nicer here in Reno and I've realized that my AC isn't blowing cold air. I've had the system checked and it's charged properly and holding so there are no leaks. When the compressor is supposed to be on (i.e. temperature set to LO and fan speeds set to highest), the belt on the compressor is turning so I'm assuming it's not siezed. I've read around the forums here that there is a way to jury rig the compressor relay to force it on. How do I do this? Assuming the compressor kicks on and the A/C blows cold,it's safe toassume I have a bad relay or sensor right? If it doesn't, does that mean the A/C clutch is out? I'm fairly handy at working on things, just bad at the diagnostic part and would appreciate any help/insights into the matter.

Thanks!

Old 03-12-2008, 05:13 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: 2000 A6Q A/C issues

does it blow cooler than outside but not cold... or hot... or not at all...?

audi's for the most part use variable displacement compressors... so just cause the belt spins doesnt make the compressor ok.

who checked your system for you...? cause what you really need to do it have a set off gauges hooked up. anyone who knows a/c can diagnose a problem just knowing what the pressures are

Old 03-12-2008, 05:27 PM
1st Gear

It blows as though nothing is happening to the air as it enters. It's just the air coming in from the outside it seems.

I took it to a mechanic here in town that specializes in european cars. They hooked it up to this big assed machine. I'm assuming it was specifically for checking the AC, but not so sure as I was shooed out of the garage. They said that odds are it's an electrical problem and that the compressor was not engaging.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:19 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: sirerrol

It blows as though nothing is happening to the air as it enters. It's just the air coming in from the outside it seems.

I took it to a mechanic here in town that specializes in european cars. They hooked it up to this big assed machine. I'm assuming it was specifically for checking the AC, but not so sure as I was shooed out of the garage. They said that odds are it's an electrical problem and that the compressor was not engaging.
the problem w/ that i don't think the mechanic isreally special in anything.

variable displacement compressors which Audi uses doesn't have a magnetic clutch that "engages" when you turn on the a/c... its always on... just runs low to no output when the a/c is not selected. So not hearing the clutch engage is not the problem cause it doesn't have one.

and even if it wasthat type. a goodmechanic could atleast jump the compressor to force engagement long enough to read the pressures. and if it didn't engage then you have a bad clutch.

what year/ engine in the car...?

Old 03-12-2008, 09:33 PM
1st Gear

It's a 2000 A6 Quattro with the 2.8.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:52 AM
1st Gear

When the compressor is supposed to be on and outputting at maximum (when the temperature is set to the lowest and the fans all the way up), it isn't. Is there a way to jump it so I can see conclusively if it's the compressor or not? Also, the timing belt was replaced about 3,000 miles ago. Could they have accidentally knocked out a sensor or something?

Again, thanks for the help!

Old 03-13-2008, 11:38 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: sirerrol

When the compressor is supposed to be on and outputting at maximum (when the temperature is set to the lowest and the fans all the way up), it isn't. Is there a way to jump it so I can see conclusively if it's the compressor or not? Also, the timing belt was replaced about 3,000 miles ago. Could they have accidentally knocked out a sensor or something?

Again, thanks for the help!
i wouldn't chase the timing belt issue unless the a/c worked before it was done.

the only way to see compressor output is w/ the factory scan tool in measured value blocks.

imma have to research your system and get back to you

Old 03-15-2008, 08:32 PM
1st Gear

any luck?

Old 03-16-2008, 07:10 PM
1st Gear

your year could of came w/ either type of compressor.

theres no way for me to kno w/o seeing it myself.