General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2001 A4 Q 2.8 cam tensioner BROKEN

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 06:43 PM
1st Gear
Angry 2001 A4 Q 2.8 cam tensioner BROKEN

I had my low oil pressure big red light come on . Got off the highway and it sounded like there was no oil pressure and the values were damaged. OHH. I had it towed to a local Audi dealer in Fall River MA. After several days of them looking at it they tell me they can't hear any value noise? And the problem is the computer board between the two gauges. I asked them several times if they ran the car and if they checked the oil pres. 1045.00 Dollars later I am not five minutes away from the dealership and the big red oil light is screaming at me! WTF, right back, and I can hear what sounds like value noise. Dealer say it is the cam tensioner and the noise you can hear is the loose chain and they will have to open it up to figure out. So i am into a repair for over one thousand dollars for something that was not really broken. Has anyone heard of this happening? Low oil pre sure coming on related to a cam tensioner being broken? I feel like i am getting a dealer run around! The car is 11 years old and in good shape but really. When is enough ?

Old 01-20-2012, 08:21 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

Sounds like you are getting the dealer run around. usually what happens with a CCT failure is the pad on the top of the CCT that the chain rides on breaks. it is possible to replace just the pad (significantly cheaper). the oil pressure light is a concern and could be related but your primary concern should be the CCT.

if it were me, I would find and indy shop and get it away from the dealership. they had their shot and failed (pitch a fit)

good luck

Old 01-22-2012, 11:52 AM
Administrator

The damaged CCT (if that's actually damaged) wouldn't cause the oil pressure light, but the low oil pressure could be causing a CCT issue, since the CCT applies tension to the cam chain via oil pressure. You may have an oil pressure issue (clogged pickup tube filter screen for example) which is hindering oil flow into the engine, compromising oill pressure, and causing the CCT to not pump up as much as it's supposed to, resulting in the valvetrain noises you're hearing.