General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2001 A6 Noise in the Front Right

Old 03-25-2013, 11:59 PM
1st Gear
Default 2001 A6 Noise in the Front Right

So I have owned this car for about 6 years now and it has been great. Recently it has started to squeak and I can not figure out the problem here or anywhere else on cyber space.

The car starts squeaking only after it has been driven for around 10 minutes or so. At slow speeds you can hear a sound once every tire rotation and it speeds up the faster you go until you can no longer hear it (usually around 30/40MPH). The sound turns to a complete squeal when turning right but not when turning left, but sometimes going straight. When the brakes are applied it is very loud no matter the direction of the wheel, but only when the car has had the chance to warm up. Occasionally, the car will shake on the highway when going ~80.

There are new tires on the car that have been balanced properly and installed properly. Brakes and rotors were done not very long ago 20k maybe and the driving has been about 90% highway. The indicator light is not on signaling the brakes are done. From what I read online, sounds like these point to either the brakes or wheel bearings. After looking at the pads and rotors, they appear to look okay. The pads in the front that I can see have plenty left on them and the rotors look fine.

Any help would be great