General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2001 TT transmission fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 05:11 PM
1st Gear
Default 2001 TT transmission fluid change

I have a 2001 TT with ~75K miles. I've seen a lot of info related tranny fluid changes, which leads me to believe that many on this site perform this task themselves, like engine oil changes, rather than at a shop/dealer. I would like to change all of the drive train-related fluids: tranny, bevel box, final drive, Haldex fluid and Haldex filter. However, I'm struggling with how much of this I should do myself based on feedback from the dealer (I know, I know) that is partially substantiated by language in the manual (Bentley). I should note that I'm having no issues with the car, but it's a 2001 and I don't believe any of these has ever been changed.

As a starting point, I thought I'd first contact two shops here in the Minneapolis area: (1) the local dealer, and (2) a reputable import shop that I have used for years for more complicated repairs on my Saab and TT.

First the independent shop. I was quoted something like $350-360 for everything except the Haldex filter (which would be ~$50 I believe). This was higher than I expected until I called the dealer...$680!!! And I think that did not include the Haldex filter. Holy crap. When I talked to the dealer about having them only do the parts I'm not comfortable with, they said unless I had an Audi special tool to monitor the temperature (of what???) during the fluid change, I wouldn't want to mess with it. Is this true and does it apply to all of the tranny fluid changes mentioned above? There is some mention in the manual of a special tool used to monitor some temperature, but I seem to recall this applying only to part of the service...maybe the Haldex only?? I'll have to read the manual more closely. I really don't want to risk creating a big problem that does not currently exist.

FWIW, I just changed the tranny and brake fluid in my Saab and Lotus without any issues, and the brake fluid in the TT but this TT seems to require special tool after special tool. Very frustrating.

Thanks,
Mike