General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2003 Audi A4 1.8T CVT Transmission Problems...

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 10:07 PM
Question 2003 Audi A4 1.8T CVT Transmission Problems...

Just bought the car used. It is the 1.8T with CVT multitronic transmission. Have all the maintenance records which helps a lot! Was driving it one day and all the PRNDL lit up. I knew it was a problem with the multitronic. Pulled over, restarted car, got it to drive okay when cruising and got it home. Next few days every morning I tried starting it but as soon as you put it into Reverse the car stalls, even if you start in neutral then go to drive. Got it towed to audi dealer. They said "Transmission Clutches slipping and shift solenoid is faulty 999 trans diag" "165923 Transmission clutches slipping and shift solenoid is faulty, perform VSD diagnostics and evaluate engine and transmission faults-test and check throttle control module functionality and remove main transmission connector and run without electronic control-trans still failing to shift with no movement under load. clear engine and trans faults and retest operation-trans faults immediately and wont spin. They wanted to replace the whole transmission for $7600 which is way more than I even payed! Car has 156,000 miles on it. One night I went to try the car in the dealer and it actually was able to go into drive. But you have to give it a lot of gas and there is delay in response and a lot of shuddering and sometimes stalling until it gets up to speed. At red lights if you brake it will keep shuddering every 2 seconds or so and trying to go unless its put in neutral. If not it usually will stall. Runs completely fine on the highway. Most of the time the PRNDL is all lit up but sometimes it will be normal (showing the right gear). I found Lucas Oil transmission fix but there is no easily accessible way to put it into the transmission. What can I do other than replace the giant transmission!? Would replacing the TCM or trans flui and filter help? I am only a student and I really don't know what to do right now.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:14 PM

Got the Vag Com Scanned but lost the codes after I reset them. About a week later with a lot of driving got it scanned again and here are the codes:

Saturday,27,February,2010,15:38:52:12190
VCDS Version: Release 908.1

Address 01: Engine Labels: 06B-909-518-AMB.lbl
Control Module Part Number: 8E0 909 518 AF HW: 8E0 909 018 A
Component and/or Version: 1.8L R4/5VT G 0003
Software Coding: 0016581
Work Shop Code: WSC 63351 000 00000
3 Faults Found:

17834 - EVAP Purge Valve (N80): Open Circuit
P1426 - 004 - No Signal/Communication - Intermittent
16825 - EVAP Emission Control Sys: Incorrect Flow
P0441 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
16514 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S1: Malfunction in Circuit
P0130 - 008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

Readiness: 0000 0000

Saturday,27,February,2010,15:39:34:12190
VCDS Version: Release 908.1

Address 02: Auto Trans Labels: 01J-927-156.lbl
Control Module Part Number: 01J 927 156 FF
Component and/or Version: V30 01J 1.8l5VT USA 3011
Software Coding: 00001
Work Shop Code: WSC 04940
3 Faults Found:

17114 - Gear Ratio Monitoring: Incorrect Gear Ratio
P0730 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
18149 - Clutch Pressure Adaptation: Limit Reached
P1741 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
18151 - Clutch Slip Monitoring: Signal too Large
P1743 - 35-00 - -

Old 03-10-2010, 08:29 PM

sorry to say but with those gear ratio codes being present the only solution will be to replace the transmission changing the fluid or the tcm wont do any good but waste money

Old 04-01-2010, 06:45 PM
Default novakflorin

Originally Posted by skwerlabusr
Just bought the car used. It is the 1.8T with CVT multitronic transmission. Have all the maintenance records which helps a lot! Was driving it one day and all the PRNDL lit up. I knew it was a problem with the multitronic. Pulled over, restarted car, got it to drive okay when cruising and got it home. Next few days every morning I tried starting it but as soon as you put it into Reverse the car stalls, even if you start in neutral then go to drive. Got it towed to audi dealer. They said "Transmission Clutches slipping and shift solenoid is faulty 999 trans diag" "165923 Transmission clutches slipping and shift solenoid is faulty, perform VSD diagnostics and evaluate engine and transmission faults-test and check throttle control module functionality and remove main transmission connector and run without electronic control-trans still failing to shift with no movement under load. clear engine and trans faults and retest operation-trans faults immediately and wont spin. They wanted to replace the whole transmission for $7600 which is way more than I even payed! Car has 156,000 miles on it. One night I went to try the car in the dealer and it actually was able to go into drive. But you have to give it a lot of gas and there is delay in response and a lot of shuddering and sometimes stalling until it gets up to speed. At red lights if you brake it will keep shuddering every 2 seconds or so and trying to go unless its put in neutral. If not it usually will stall. Runs completely fine on the highway. Most of the time the PRNDL is all lit up but sometimes it will be normal (showing the right gear). I found Lucas Oil transmission fix but there is no easily accessible way to put it into the transmission. What can I do other than replace the giant transmission!? Would replacing the TCM or trans flui and filter help? I am only a student and I really don't know what to do right now.
hi
i have the same problem with audi a4
my foult coudes are;
18149 - Clutch Pressure Adaptation Limit Reached

18181 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs

P1773 - 35-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent
1 Fault Found:

18149 - Clutch Pressure Adaptation Limit Reached

can u plz hellp im realy canfuse what i shud do

Old 05-29-2010, 03:11 PM

Hi Guys, I have an Audi A4 2.4 (non quattro) AUTO Cabrio and i overhauled the gearbox and installed it. Now When the car is in P it revs fine but as soon as I put it in D the lights near the gearknob all light up like there is an error and the car doesnt move. Any ideas Fellas? The dealership tells me the control module might be damaged. Thank you.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:43 AM
1st Gear
Default gearbox finally repaired on 2007 A4

2007 Audi A4 Transmission repair (finally!)

My pristine Audi A4 = 2 litre triptronic with 45,000 Kms on the clock and driven by two mid-fifties sedate adults died on a flat freeway on Mother’s Day 2010.

Audi Roadside assist arranged a tow after extensive directions – 200m from a major bridge.
No loan car was on offer, as although we were bound for Ballarat, we broke down a mere 50 Km or so from home. A taxi was ordered to take us to Ballarat after the tow driver confirmed our status. Sadly, the location was wrongly relayed and two hours later a frustrated tow driver found us by persistence. The taxi also had the wrong location and we were left standing between three roadways for an uncomfortable time.

Monday, the car was delivered to Audi Centre Melbourne – the nearest dealer and not my choice. I have had excellent service over two vehicles and five years from Penfold Burwood, but not an option.

Wednesday it still hadn’t been inspected. I rang to find the customer rep was too busy to talk to me but HOPED to look at it that day. The receptionist hung up on me mid sentence, as I said that wasn’t good enough - as it was a company car and was losing me income each day I was off the road.

Somewhat incensed, I rang Audi customer relations who attempted to intercede. A call an hour later said gearbox computer was faulty and would take three days to arrive from Sydney. Can’t it be flown down I said. Evidently not.
Then the new part was faulty and another computer controller took 4 days.
Mean while I agreed to a 45,000 km service and rear brakes to sweeten the deal for $1000.

It’s ready they rang and said, pick up at 4.00 p.m.
My son drove into town and walked in at 4.08 pm with a friend driving his car back home.
At 4.05 Audi rang to say it wasn’t fixed. I asked why no one had put it in drive to see if it moved? I demanded they give my son a lift home – not authorized to do that- sorry.

Put me on to your manager of customer service.
He’s in an important meeting
Interrupt him
No – can’t do that.
After a dummy spit my son was finally driven home.
Another 4 days for a pressure valve assembly. Didn’t work!

I had to ring customer support who eventually arranged a hire car, so I could continue my work at Alexandra on bushfire recovery projects, amongst other tasks.
I had to ring Audi Melbourne to find they had given up and ordered a new gearbox which had to come from Singapore and was worth over $18,000 or similar large sum. The computer controllers were $3000 each I was also informed.

So some three weeks later I had to pick the car up during a week day as no weekend pick-ups were possible – another half day’s pay down the drain.

After pick-up my wife noticed a scratch on the passenger door and that her second key wasn’t coded to the computer any more. When I noticed the 100 km/hr warning was removed, I opened the manuals to see the service wasn’t stamped. I also fgound two gearbox computer assemblies and a pressure valve unit in boxes in the boot along with various gaskets and bolts.

How can they send the gearbox to Germany to find out why it failed (as I was informed) if they didn’t even notice several bits were missing? Some were new. I rang customer support.

Nothing like a ransom of $9000 odd dollars worth of spares to get the car picked up and dropped off this time!

I was contacted by Audi Customer support to see if all was fixed and I quoted a thread from this website regarding a bulletin on A4 triptronic gearboxes malfunctioning - and wanted a guarantee that this replacement wouldn’t also fail prematurely once my warranty had expired. No, as you haven’t paid for the gearbox you can’t have a 2 year guarantee. I said if the gearboxes were not a problem audi should lose nothing to guarantee their product. We consider such issues on a case-by-case basis I was told. Don’t worry, be happy?

The Australian manager of Audi (I believe this was his title) rang me from Sydney to express regret. His was the only number not blocked on my phone. I could actually ring him back if I wished. I again asked for a 2 year warranty – only on the new gearbox. He said it would be definitely considered.

A week or so later a minion at customer support rang to say no extended warranty was on offer as it was a third party insurance. Not good enough I replied – all I asked for was written cover for the new gearbox from Audi – as if I had paid for it. It had cost me some thousands in time a repairs to various loan cars from relatives by this stage.

I noted that I had a story to tell and that I expected a warranty as a minimum recompense to settle my opinion of Audi’s ability to respond quickly and locally to a fault in their vehicles.
I am still awaiting that reply.
Do you want to fix your gearbox like this?

Good Luck
kerbsne

Old 06-26-2010, 08:33 AM
1st Gear

Well
Audi management decided to give me a letter offering two years warranty on the replacement gearbox as slight recompense for the trials and tribulations. No-one in Australia will be told the outcome of the autopsy back in Germany however - or so I'm told.
Very hierarchical company is the impression I've formed and Australia seems to have limited autonomy to solve problems quickly.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:11 PM
1st Gear
Default Audi A4 2.4 S

Was looking to buy a used 2002 Audi A4 2.4 S Cabriolet, petrol with 90,000 on the clock and after reading the issues with the CVT Gear box I am worried that I should give it a wide burth. It has a full service history, not sure if all Audi.

Any thoughs?

Old 02-05-2011, 05:16 AM
1st Gear
Angry multitronic transmission 2 WD A4's

i recently accompanied my wife looking at second hand mercedes

I saw a nice diesel version and enquired as to changeover

2WD Audi Multitronic A4's evidently have a question mark over their longevity which used car managers will freely discuss whilst new car Audi dealers will not.

The replacement gearbox which I received from Singapore presumably has the fault fixed, but trade in offered was disappointingly low.

The quattro evidently does not have this problem but is a sealed for life gearbox - when it goes it is a replacement job.

The 2 WDat least can change the fluid every 60,000 kms but has a flaw deep within and inaccessible - simple problem but cannot reach it. (ex Audi salesman volunteered this - so what credibility?)

Get a quattro

I will run mineout to 90,000 kms and trde as paid kilometres will recover purchase price and I now have written 2 yera warranty.
I don't believe Audi is being transparent on this problem.

good luck
kerbsne

Old 05-01-2015, 01:36 PM
1st Gear
Default 18149 code error

i have a audi a4 2.5 2002 and hesitates when you push the clutch ....plz help me what to change in my car......when i decided i pc show me this code 18149 Clutch Pressure Adaptation: Limit Reached ....plz help me