General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2003 Audi TT Quatro Clicking Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 04:34 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation 2003 Audi TT Quatro Clicking Noise?

Hey smart people, I took my car to Audi yesterday and had them look it over and give it an oil change. It's been sounding great and today it was well up until after I washed it. When I was leaving I started to notice that it was louder than usual especially when accelerating. I'm hoping you can give me some insight as to what the problem is and if I should worry about it. It's worrying me already because I just got the car Anyways, I'll post a link under here to a youtube video with the noise. It's very clicky but it's barely noticeable in the cabin unless I'm accelerating. Thanks in advance...

Edit:
I have listened to it a bit more and I am pretty sure the noise is coming more from behind the engine than anywhere else. So I'm thinking maybe the exhaust manifold gasket went ca-put or a nut is loose? Or it's the turbo. Which wouldn't be good... You guys will probably have a better idea than I.

Last edited by Ozzy S; 05-19-2013 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Updating information
Old 05-19-2013, 10:27 PM
1st Gear

Sounds like an exhaust leak, in the manifold. Again, I THINK it's an exhaust leak. Easiest way to find out is to buy some seafoam, find a vacuum line and put about 1/3 of the bottle in. Give it a few revs, and when it starts to smoke look under the hood. If you see smoke you have an exhaust leak.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:25 PM
1st Gear

I am 99% sure that it's an exhaust leak. I've been googling like crazy and I found someone else with an Audi (not a tt, but an audi nonetheless) and that thread was talking about the flex portion of the downpipe having problems. They also had issues with the weld where it bolts to the turbo I think. I will probably end up taking a look at it, having used seafoam before I might prepare my neighbors for the fumigation of my street ;-)

Old 06-01-2013, 04:48 PM
1st Gear
Default And the verdict is...

Figured it out, finally... First off, if I ever meet the previous owner He messed the threads going into the turbo up. Fortunately it was only about the top 1/2 in so I re tapped it. The problem was three things. 1/3 bolts had worked itself out, number 2/3 wasn't in at all on account of messed up threads and bolt 3/3 was nice and tight. However the gasket between the exhaust manifold and the turbo is missing a section. I called up the dealer and asked them about it and they said that it would take 9 hours. Erm... How about no? So I'm thinking about trying it myself... Off to a forum search, but if anyone knows about a thread or can tell me if I can just slip in a new gasket I'd appreciate it. Thanks!