General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2004 A6 wont start / no fuel

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 03:46 PM
1st Gear
Default 2004 A6 wont start / no fuel

1st timer into the Audi world & need some help. Ive got an 04 A6 Quattro S-line w/2.7TT. I purchased the car non-running. I quickly noticed that when I cracked the fuel line at the rail that I am getting NO FUEL. The car turns over fine but doesn't even attempt to start. The EPS comes on as well when trying. Here is what I have done so far...in order

1) check fuses - all good
2) replaced the fuel pump relay
3) crank position sensor

I am guessing that the fuel pump would be next, but I'm wondering if anyone has any other ideas or am I missing something? I do not hear any fuel pump priming when you 1st turn the key like in other cars I've owned. Is that normal or should I hear it prime? I disconnect the fuel line completely & put it in a cup & no fuel comes out when cranking.

Thanks for any & all help!!!

Old 06-09-2015, 04:24 PM
2nd Gear

Sounds like the fuel pump to me. If you crack that line open at the rail after turning on the ignition, you should get a little spray out of the line.

Looking at the pump assembly at a couple of parts places online ($150-200) it looks to be a snap to replace. There is a access cover in the trunk between the rear wheels under the carpet that make the swap fairly easy. Being small enough to work in the trunk helps too.. LOL

Remove the cover and check the electrical connections to make sure they're tight. You can put a test light on the two wires that run the pump and turn on the ignition. The light should come on for a few seconds and go off if you don't try to crank the engine. The ECU will only tell the pump to come back on (the first few seconds are the fuel system prime cycle) until it sees the engine turning over.

Removing the assembly is simple too. Just disconnect the fuel lines and remove the big ring that holds everything in the tank. Those units looks to be two part units with a flexible hose connecting the lower pump and pickup housing with the tank plug. The lower unit may clip into a base of sorts at the bottom of the tank so you'll have to reach in there and pop it loose.

If you do get a new assembly, do yourself a favor and get a new rubber seal for the top part where it seals in the top of the tank. The old one will swell up as soon as you remove it and it almost always causes issues trying to get it back together.

Give it a shot and let us know how it works out..

Old 06-09-2015, 05:32 PM
1st Gear

Awesome..thanks Dave!!!

Old 06-09-2015, 11:06 PM
2nd Gear

Update.. Found a video on YouTube that shows how this comes out. Instead of the trunk, it comes out under the back seat, which is a bit easier. Make sure the car has less than a half a tank of gas in it though. The opening for the pump assembly is low pretty low as compared to the ones that are accessible from the trunk like my A8 (and 5000SQ). There is mention of a special wrench to get the old pump out in the video but in the comments, some say you really don't need it. Here's a link to the video too..

Hope this helps you out even more.

Dave

Old 06-09-2015, 11:30 PM
2nd Gear

Here's another video. Between the two, you should be able to determine how to get it in and out..