General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2004 A8 transmission problem.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 04:06 AM
1st Gear
Default 2004 A8 transmission problem.

Hi all,

I have a 2004 A8L tip with 117K miles and I am having a transmission issue.

This is when the car is cold after sitting for a while. I'll start it up and accelerate slowly up to cruising speed of around 45 or 65mph. Once I get there and maintain that speed the tachometer sometimes wavers over a band of around 300 rpm (generally at or just under the 2,000 rpm point). I can't tell if it's actually shift hunting or the rpms are just wavering while it's in the same gear. My upshift to final cruising gear is also generally accompanied by a soft groan. Once it settles in it drives fine.

While cruising if I give it just a little gas (accelerating slowly) the rpm's will slightly drop before finally downshifting as I give it more gas.

If I try driving it with moderate acceleration the upshifts tend to be delayed (beyond what would normally be expected). If I drive it moderately up to 45 mph, for example, it will stay above 3,000rpm for a while before finally shifting to final cruising gear with a soft groan.

The only issue with downshifting is that sometimes when I take my foot off of the gas I get a high amount of engine breaking as if something isn't disengaging. Then as it slows it seems to roll more freely.

The shifts themselves are generally fine, and there is no slippage. After the car has warmed up with just a few miles this doesn't seem to be as much of a problem. My mileage is normal, the same I've gotten for years.

The dealer wants to try changing the transmission fluid ($380) and uploading a software update ($600). One of the other techs there thinks it might be the torque converter starting to go. Of course, they can't check the fluid without opening it up and then I might as well just change it anyways. But if it's the torque converter there is no need to open the transmission (or is there?).

But before I do anything I'm just curious if any of you have had similar problems and what it was for you.

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:22 PM
1st Gear

If you haven't done a transmission flush you might want to as that will cause problems. I wouldn't go to the dealer. You can find a better price somewhere else. I'm sure there are reputable shops around your area. That would be a good starting point and then you can go from there. Maybe even scan the computer for codes. Hope this helps.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:05 AM
1st Gear

Did you ever come to a conclusion as to why your transmission did this? Mine is doing the same thing.

Originally Posted by Andy Hapka
Hi all,

I have a 2004 A8L tip with 117K miles and I am having a transmission issue.

This is when the car is cold after sitting for a while. I'll start it up and accelerate slowly up to cruising speed of around 45 or 65mph. Once I get there and maintain that speed the tachometer sometimes wavers over a band of around 300 rpm (generally at or just under the 2,000 rpm point). I can't tell if it's actually shift hunting or the rpms are just wavering while it's in the same gear. My upshift to final cruising gear is also generally accompanied by a soft groan. Once it settles in it drives fine.

While cruising if I give it just a little gas (accelerating slowly) the rpm's will slightly drop before finally downshifting as I give it more gas.

If I try driving it with moderate acceleration the upshifts tend to be delayed (beyond what would normally be expected). If I drive it moderately up to 45 mph, for example, it will stay above 3,000rpm for a while before finally shifting to final cruising gear with a soft groan.

The only issue with downshifting is that sometimes when I take my foot off of the gas I get a high amount of engine breaking as if something isn't disengaging. Then as it slows it seems to roll more freely.

The shifts themselves are generally fine, and there is no slippage. After the car has warmed up with just a few miles this doesn't seem to be as much of a problem. My mileage is normal, the same I've gotten for years.

The dealer wants to try changing the transmission fluid ($380) and uploading a software update ($600). One of the other techs there thinks it might be the torque converter starting to go. Of course, they can't check the fluid without opening it up and then I might as well just change it anyways. But if it's the torque converter there is no need to open the transmission (or is there?).

But before I do anything I'm just curious if any of you have had similar problems and what it was for you.

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:48 PM
1st Gear

Unfortunately, I did not. I sold the car.

They believed it was most likely the torque converter and it would be about $3,400 to replace but said they wouldn't know until they took the transmission apart and it could well be up to $8,000 if I needed a new transmission. I didn't want to get into that position.

If you ever do find out the exact problem, let me know. I'd love to know.

Thanks and good luck to you.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:28 PM
1st Gear

Hello all, I wanted to know something is I drive an Audi A8 2004 and since last few weeks I am facing a problem with the gearbox. Whenever its in RPM between 1000 to 3000 it give a real hard push and the whole body shakes. And when I slow the car as the gear is decreasing it give a hard push again. But when I drove it on highways its completely fine. So I wanted to know is it a gearbox internal issues or what?

Thank you