General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2008 Audi TT alarm/flashers keep going off randomly even with fuse removed!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 09:04 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation 2008 Audi TT alarm/flashers keep going off randomly even with fuse removed!

Hey everyone,

This problem is a CHALLENGE, but ANY help will be much appreciated. The Audi dealership gave up. Audi of America gave up. I just bought this car 2 months ago and at the moment I'm screwed.

Ok so I have a 2008 Audi TT quattro with the 3.2L engine. Approximately 5-10 minutes after parking and locking the car, the car alarm goes off for NO reason. I couldn't deal with the cost of a sensor repair, so I just removed the fuse. The car alarm is STILL being triggered, though. I park and lock my car, and sure enough 5-10 minutes later my flashers start going off. There's no sound because I removed the fuse, but something is still triggering the flashers.

Does anybody have any idea what could be causing such a random alarm/flasher triggering? It's SO random. There are NO other problems with the car. Just when I think it's not going to do it again I get a call from my office or condo building saying my flashers are going off.

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-23-2011, 10:40 AM
1st Gear

skier8810

Had a similar problem with my 2000 A4. Unless I am mistaken the alarm system has a separate power supply. Problem turned out to be the interior sensor set at 100% sensitivity.
You will need a VAG-COM to adjust down to 70% or so. Hope this helps, even a small amount.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:00 AM
1st Gear

Randall41,

Thank you so much for the reply- in 2 sentences you managed to help me more than 3 trips to the dealership. I'm definitely going to pick up a cheap VAG-COM cable and start to fix this problem myself.

First off, you are right about the interior sensor. After much haggling for details at the dealership, they said the rear window sensor was being triggered. Their ONLY solution offered was to replace the window because of the integrated piezoelectric sensor (which is an absurd/unacceptable $500+ repair that I refuse to do).

I'm going to look into the separate power supply idea. Even with the fuse removed so that the alarm sound itself doesn't go off, I could see the wiring being such that the sensors are still getting power in some way. Now that I think about it, when the manual says the fuse disconnects both the power and sound, it might only be referring to the alarm siren and not all the individual sensors.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:04 AM
1st Gear
Default Problem solved for lots of $$$

Just an update here in case anyone has had a similar problem.

Turns out one of the Comfort Control Modules in the car had failed and needed to be replaced AND the rear window sensor needed replacement (requires replacing the entire rear window). Total cost = $1500. I spoke to the Audi dealership owner and essentially argued "how can Audi's slogan be 'Truth in Engineering' if two parts that are never meant to fail go bad less than 1000 miles after warranty. I feel scammed." They knocked $500 off the repair cost, but it still made me question purchasing the car.

My lesson learned? I'm never buying an Audi (or any brand car really) again unless there are at least 10,000 miles left on the factory warranty.

Learn from my mistakes! Don't get a used car that's near the warranty's end! There could be a reason...