General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2009 audi a4 engine problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 12:45 AM
1st Gear
Angry 2009 audi a4 engine problems

So about 2 days ago my 2009 audi a4 2.0t started shaking and what I thought to be misfiring. So i drove my car home and ordered a new cylinder head thing with the the spark plug, or whatever its called, and went and picked them up the next day. Then i proceeded to drive to a mechanic shop where the car literally turned off right as i got to the shop. Fast forward to when we replace the cylinder and spark plug and that doesn't do the trick. Then the mechanic starts to tell me that the problem is my high pressure fuel pump and my cam follower. Long story short I replace both those and it still doesn't do the trick. Now Im looking at an internal engine problem, which will royally f**k me over. I think the mechanic said something like the cam broke or something, but im just wondering how much am I looking at to fix my car and get it back up and running?

Old 10-02-2015, 08:47 AM
2nd Gear

Depends on how much damage was done to the head. If the cam broke, you're going to have bent valves. If the cam did not damage the surfaces where it rides in the head, you might get away with not having to buy a new head. However, the cams for any of these things is not cheap for some reason (apparently they are made of some metallurgical material this is made on some planet elsewhere in the galaxy). Regardless, it's going to be a minimum of a $1000US to fix that.

Let me see if I can decipher your terminology for more clarification of what happened.
"Cylinder head thing with the spark plug" = Coil Pack
"Cam Follower" = Cam Sensor
Am I right?

There are "cam followers" which are normally called "lifters" or, in the case of our overhead cam engines today, "tappets". These are mounted in the head between the cam and the valves. Replacing these requires removing the cams. If the cam is broken, it will be immediately apparent when removing the valve cover of the head.

The first order of business is to remove the valve cover and eyeball that those cams. Bottom line is this, it's not going to be cheap. NEVER EVER EVER drive you car with the engine shaking if you do not have to, period.