General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2014 Audi A3 - Gearbox Malfunction Message

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2020, 08:22 AM
1st Gear
Exclamation 2014 Audi A3 - Gearbox Malfunction Message

Hi All.

Hope you well. I own a 2014 Audi A3 1.4 Tfsi Automatic. I bought it brand new and been driving it ever since with now roughly 83000km on the clock. The car has been always serviced by the local dealer (Audi) with its last service done at the end of 2019 at which the service plan officially ended. In Feb. the issues started coming with
first the boot not opening or responding to the key and I think the the Lock not functioning and need to be replaced but I have left it for now. As of last week the car didn't want to start out of a sudden with a full battery and gave me Gearbox Malfunction (no Reverse gear) but you can continue driving error message? It first asks to press the pedal and put the Gear to Park and subsequently the Malfunction Message?
Reading through the forum and investigating on Facebook, this seem to be a common issue with these DSG Transmissions and apparently the Mechatronic is designed to break. The ood thing is though that with most people this issue started with signs such as jumping gears ect. first and they could continue driving as the message says. This is not the case with mine and the Gearbox never had any issue before that would indicate such a problem in the making.
Some posts suggest that it may be the Transmission Oil Filter and some even the Oil pump with others indicating that the Mechatronic is burned out. Does anyone know how to pinpoint the issue correctly before I take it to the dealer?
Would welcome any advise or suggestion

Old 05-04-2021, 05:30 PM
1st Gear
Default Feedback

Hi Tim, have you had any feedback. I am in the same position and would like to know how this was addressed. Seems to be like a general issue with Audi and there is no accountability!