General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'92 100 S Tranny Type?

Old 01-03-2008, 04:00 PM
1st Gear
Default '92 100 S Tranny Type?

Hi I posted this quesiton on the Classic Audi forum (not that I'd consider a '92 a classic really, but it didn't fall into any of the other categories for models.) I think this may be a better place to post the question. Can anyone help me out with this?

I have a 92 100 S (FWD) and I plan on doing a transmission flush and filter change in the next month or so. I've found the kits available at the www.blauparts.com website, which appear to be helpful. Although really I think I just need to buy the correct filter and pan gasket and fill it with fluid (I plan on using Mobil 1 Synthetic Dexron compatible ATF which from what I've read seems to be safe for this car).

Anyways my question is this. It looks like the '92 100 had two types of transmissions. One is referred to as AZB and the other is CDT, CEZ and CNT. How can I tell or find out what type of tranny mine has? VIN number? I'm assuming the difference requires either a different filter or gasket or both so I want to make sure I get the right parts before starting the job. I was under the car last weekend doing a coolant flush and didn't see any identifying info on the tranny itself, but I didn't really know what to look for.

Old 01-08-2008, 03:33 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: '92 100 S Tranny Type?

I got my question answered on this. I talked to the guys at www.shokan.com (who were very helpful by the way) and the '92 100 S does have two possible transmissions. Code ABZ or CDT. ABZ was on the earlier models. The way they told me to tell is if you have a "Sport" button next to the shifter. If you do its the ABZ model and if you don't it's the later transmission codes. Mine does have the Sport button on the shifter so I have the ABZ.

I think its also supposed to be stamped on the transmission somewhere, but I didn't see it when I was under the car last. I'll have to look again when I actually do the flush.

Digging around the car last night I also found a sticker in the trunk under the carpet cover for the spare tire. It's next to the well holding the tire. It listed the Engine and Transmission types and I was able to further confirm I have the ABZ tranny code.

Just thought I'd post the info in case it helps anyone else out.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:07 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: '92 100 S Tranny Type?

That's great, Shokan is great with older Audis!