General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

98 a4 avant with engine codes galore. help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 12:43 PM
1st Gear
Default 98 a4 avant with engine codes galore. help!

ok, so as it states in the title i have a 1998 audi a4 avant with a 2.8 30v engine. last week i had the engine light come on and then flash and then all hell breaks loose. it idles really rough but if you drive it it runs fine sometimes and other times it runs like complete ****.

i scanned it last night and i got 8 engine codes.

p0422 - bank 1
p0432 - bank 2
p0300 - random multiple cylinder misfire
p0301 - cyl 1 misfire
p0302 - cyl 2 misfire
p0300 - cyl 3 misfire
p0305 - cyl 5 misfire
p1519 - manufacturer specific code

i have no idea where to start. i thought at first that it might be coils since i was getting all the misfires, but after reading a little about p1519 it seems like it could all be some kind of intake controler. i have no idea. anyone with any kind of experience with this would be appreciated.

i think the 2 cat codes are independant from the others. it's probably just a wierd coincidence.

again, help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-21-2008, 05:35 PM
1st Gear

come on, no replies at all. there has to be someone that has an idea about whats going on.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:17 AM
1st Gear

awesome. thanks for all the help.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:29 PM
4th Gear

dude relax, i know when something goes wrong with our cars we freak out but we're not here all the time. also lets see im assuming that you went to autozone to get the codes scanned where they couldnt clear them, sometimes just clearing the codes will help, but if it comes back its back to the drawing board. check your fuses, i remember i have multiples codes (not sure if the same) but turned out that a fuse for the engine timeing blew. after that check your coils with the DIY found on the site (not sure where this is your gonna have to search). and also pull out the spark plugs and check them out, are they covered with oil(bad) or do they just look old. after all this let us know what happens. also buying a generic code reader helps since it lets you read and clear codes ont he fly at home and usually costs $40.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:37 PM
1st Gear

i wasn't trying to freak out or anything, i'm just under the gun with this problem and i'm still no closer to figureing it out.

i have a code scanner allready. i learned that lesson a while ago. i cleared the codes and they all came back.

the plugs are just you're normal wear and tear, nothing special. the coil could be it but when the cars not at idle and under load it'll run better. wouldn't it still run like crap with bad coils?

i haven't checked the fuses. i'll do that and see what i come up with.

i read some where that i could get these codes from a bad maf, but that just doesn't seem likely. i had an 01 vr6 gti that had a bad maf and it just ran like ****, not throwing misifre codes.

thanks for the response btw.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:27 PM
1st Gear
Wink

your cat codes are a direct result to the misfire codes. dont drive it like that or your cat will **** on you then you wont pass smog till you get a new 1000 dollar one

as for the misfire do all your basic stuff. try to find out what type of misfire it is. rich or lean? do you have a code reader or a scanner? look at your o2, maf, ign, LTFT a vacuum line that fell of the fuel pressure regulater could cause rich in all cylinders but i dont think so much as misfires but worth a check

did anything significant happen just befor this? like got worked on? accedent anything? what all have you checked?

Old 12-23-2008, 01:19 PM
1st Gear

the car ran fine and then the engine light would flash at idle and it would idle rough, but as soon as i gave it gas it would straighten out and the light would stop flashing. i drove it like that for a day or 2 and then it just ran like **** and the engine light would flash all the time. it used to run better under load but now it sputters and drives rough under load.

the plugs are fine. i pulled them the other day.

no smog tests in va. not that it matters i was just rubbing it in to all those people that have smog regulations.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:19 AM
1st Gear

update if anyone cares.

i fixed the problem. it was a bad coil and a severe vaccum leak. car runs great now. what a wierd combo. thanks for all the help.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:05 PM
1st Gear

can you elaborate about the vacuum leak?....
.....Thanks.... JB