General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'99 A4 Quattro, Inconsistent dash warning lights?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 10:20 PM
1st Gear
Default '99 A4 Quattro, Inconsistent dash warning lights?

Hello all, hoping I could ask here for some information so I can try to tackle what the heck is going on with my car. So far I love it, and want to keep it running, but the car has some kinks I need to work out.

Quick Information:
1999 A4 Quattro 1.8T, auto
~167k Miles
Codes: P0422, P0118 (see below for more info, CEL did not stay on)
Lights*: Oil, Brake pads, Fuel, Trunk lid open (see below for more info, they flash randomly)

When I bought it the airbag light was on, but I found out that it is a rather typical problem and I didn't think much of it, and thus have ignored it for the time being. About a week later, the locking pump must have gone out, but I got info on that and will get around to that once I fix the current, and far more (seemingly) serious issues.

Symptoms:
A little while back, while driving, some of the dashboard warning lights(see above*) came on, but only for a split millisecond, and stayed off.

I thought I was just seeing things, and only saw it out of the corner of my eye, so I kind of just ignored it the first time it happened.

A little while later, the "Service" light came on when starting the car, and then it threw a CEL at me while driving to uni that morning. I drove it down to autozone to get the codes checked, and the OBDII pulled a P0118, and P0422. However, on the way home, the CEL light went out on its own.

The other warning lights still randomly will flash (at the same time), but over extremely inconsistent intervals. Sometimes 15+ mins apart, other times it goes off 3-4 a min before remaining silent again. I was like 50 miles over the recommended oil change, but upon changing the oil the oil light still does this. Meanwhile, the brake pads seem fine, the trunk is shut, and I am nowhere near having an empty fuel tank. Could these be just a random electrical gremlins or faulty sensors that need replacing? I mean why are they ALL going off at the same time at inconsistent intervals? None of them are staying on like the manual says they would be if there was a problem, and none are making any beeping noises. What concerns me the most is the oil pressure sensor, as I cant use common sense on this one, although I have not found any leaks.

To top it off, occasionally, when starting the car and when it is running, the odometer, and for that matter, the entire dashboard lights and backlights (except for the gear select display), and none of the warning lights light up (except for the airbag light), and will stay off for several hours. Is everything related to an issue with a component of the electrical system in the dash perhaps, or am I just being naively optimistic?

Forgive me if I am not being clear on anything, and Ill rephrase anything if needed.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by Oddy Ay Fore; 11-29-2012 at 06:58 PM.