General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

A4 1.9 tdi will not start

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 09:50 AM
1st Gear
Default A4 1.9 tdi will not start

ive just bought an A4 1.9 tdi (red i) on an R reg 1998 which the previous owner was a fool and filled engine to filler cap with oil so as any1 can imagine there was more smoke than car. Ive set about cleaning evrything (all hoses, turbo, etc.) and i have also removet rocker cover to chech for and top end damage. As i have removed the cover inc. timing cover i realised it NEEDED a timing belt change as a priority to anything so i set about that. I noticed there was no timing marks anywere other than camshaft so i did what ive doen before and used the others (pinned camshaft at the back using a piece of flat steel in the slot on cam, large drill bit in pump cog, and i lined the 0 on the fltwheel with the inspection hole) After i done this i replaced the belt put the new 1 on and unpinned before turning engine by hand. Evrything was fine nothing clashed and the new marks which i made lined up again perfectly so i set off 2 start the car. After a few attempts to start i realised it was not going to start so i checked timing again and a 3rd time to make sure and again evrything was spot on, yet the car will not start it turns over and after a while the oil warning light flashes on dash ive checked oil and its fine and the more i try 2 get it away the sooner the light comes on has any1 had this problem or know what it could be

Old 01-04-2014, 06:17 AM
1st Gear
Default More of the same...

Hi There,

Right now have the same issue with a 2002 1.9tdi.
Car turns over but wont start, no errors showing up. Behaves exactly the same as you have described..

How did you resolve yours? any feedback would be great as we are currently trying to diagnose the same issue.

Thx