General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

a4 2.0tdi b7 whistle and overboosting ssues

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 02:01 PM
1st Gear
Default a4 2.0tdi b7 whistle and overboosting ssues

Hi All,

I have an Audi A4 2.0TDI 2005 B7 with 130k miles and have been having some running issues recently.

Currently I have a loud whistling that is throttle dependant not RPM related. when accelerating lightly the whistle isn't present. when accelerating quickly the whistle is present but only over about 2000rpm. If I accelerate hard or on when I'm on a motorway the car will go into limp mode due to overboosting. The car does make boost but i would say the car is probably running at 80% power.

So far i have cleaned the inlet manifold and replaced the erg valve. (i had previously cleaned it but didn't fix my problem so brought a new one). The throttle body has been cleaned but always has engine oil around the throttle flap area. I took off the cover to the throttle body and for some reason it was pressurised and had quite a bit of engine oil in as well. I cleaned it all out, WD40’d it all and put it back together but that didn't make any difference. All the vacuum pipes have been tested using a handheld pressure/ vacuum tester and are all good. All the boost pipes have also been tested in the same way (except the one on the inlet side of the intercooler) and all were good. Ive also used the vacuum tester on the actuator on the turbo and it had a smooth motion and when at its limits i couldn't force it any further open or any further closed (if that makes sense) so can only assume the turbo vanes aren't sticking. I haven't tried pulling off the vacuum hose to the actuator whilst running though so not sure how it reacts then.

I have noticed engine oil in the throttle body as previously said and in the hose on the inlet side of the turbine on the turbo but this looks like its come from the engine breather. also oil in the outlet hose from the turbine of the turbo and hose between intercooler and throttle body. Dont know if any of this is usual for these cars? :/

When i put a fault code reader on the car i get P0234 (overboosting i think) , P2100 and P2102 (throttle body issues).

The car doesn't smoke anymore since i fitted a new EGR valve, I haven't noticed the coolant level dropping at all and it doesn't burn an abnormal amount of engine oil.

The question is I'm not sure what the whistling noise is and what to check next to help fix my problems.

Thanks in advanced for any helpful replies!!!