General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

A4 COOLANT PROBLEM!! expert needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 03:25 AM
1st Gear
Default A4 COOLANT PROBLEM!! expert needed

Okay, this is my first time on forum but seems like people know your stuff. Im challenging someone to please diagnose this problem for me:

In August, my 1997 Audi A4 Quattro 2.8 AFC produced a coolant leak and an overheating problem. The leak was noticed by me as coolant was on ground and low in reservoir. As the leak became more severe, my car began overheating. I took it into a dealer, Trip # 1, and they told me just could be a cracked hose, cracked reservoir, cracked cap. I noticed whitish smoke and such burning from exhuast; possible head gasket i thought. They ignored this, "fixed" 1 hose from reservoir and changed plug underneath car, filled me up with flourescent fluid and told me to drive it for a few days and return for them to look at under blacklight. Days later, car overheated, coolant leaking and low. Trip # 2 to dealer consisted of them saying I needed to replace a Freez Plug located in back of car, requiring $$$ and transmission to be removed. They said they did not see the problem, but suspected it. As they car was being fixed, i got a call telling me i needed motor mounts; i got them replaced. I picked my car up a day later, drove 5 minutes, and car was overheating again! I turned around, left car at dealer(TRIP # 3). Was then told 1 day later car needed a new thermostat, more $$$. Took car home few days later. 5 or so days later, the car began to shake and overheat again. I also noticed a slip in gears(high revs @ about 3000 and wouldnt kick into gear). I took it back to delaer(TRIP # 4) and was told of a "bubble in the system". I did not mention tranny. They took 2 hours, topped off my coolant, and told me everything was fine. 4 days later, i blew a headgasket( i knew this because i took it to another dealer, and they diagnosed this). 2 headgaskets were replaced, as well as an oil and coolant change. Was told everything was fine. I drove 5 minutes out of lot and the car was overheatign again!. I was told by this dealer it was a "bubble in the system" and was topped off. I drove 2 hours and the coolant light flashed again.... coolant was low. Dealer agaiun told me to add more coolant, could have been a big air pocket. Drove 2 hours again, lgiht came on again. I currently do not notice any under-car leaks, however, coolant in reservoir is low and light is on. No leaks noticed in any area i can see from above the engine. Only noticable problem is a watery like leak on the passenger side of car after long drive, also, i opend the oil reservoir and noticed yellow-gumpy like oil after a long drive, oil stick showed normal levels. WHAT is going on here????

Old 11-27-2006, 05:06 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: A4 COOLANT PROBLEM!! expert needed

wow...not a clue whats causing it. BUT FIND A NEW STEALERSHIP!!!! I feel sorry for you bro, thats alot of messin around they've been putting you through.

Old 11-27-2006, 01:35 PM
4th Gear

Here is a good place to vent:

http://1.8t.org/dealers/

I'd change the oil, then add a stop leak to the reservoir.

Old 12-01-2006, 10:15 AM
3rd Gear

What does the coolant look like? The water on the pass side is probably just condensation from the ac system. Whats it taste like? If its sweet its coolant. Otherwise its just water from the ac. When does the car overheat? Driving at a constant speed? Sitting at a light? Does the fan come on?