General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

A5 2.0T Timing Chain Failure

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 03:22 PM
1st Gear

My Audi A5 2010 just had the exact same problem. I had the oil consumption problem that Audi fixed and now a year later my car wouldn't start. I was just told the timing belt structure failed and my engine needs to be replaced!

Old 06-15-2017, 03:28 PM
1st Gear

My timing chain tensioner just failed and I am told I need a new engine ($7,000). My car also had the oil consumption problem. No legal rep. Would join a class action.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:04 PM
1st Gear

Same thing to my 2010 A4.
excessive oil consumption that Audi fixed at about 50k mile, now timing chain tensioner failed and ruined the engine. quoted $13k for new engine. Now the car is still at dealer.

We need class action !

Old 03-26-2018, 12:24 AM
1st Gear
Default A problem good scotch won't fix

My 2011 A4 Avant just gave me the same catastrophic timing chain failure. $5k to rebuild top end of engine and timing chain components. 2nd owner of vehicle and at 98k miles failure. 25k miles of my driving with a complete service by most reputable 3rd shop in my area right after purchase and absolute pampering afterwards. I'm in Washington state and my A4 is still at the shop as I try to decide what to do with it...besides cry into my pillow and drink some Macallam 18 yr single malt.

Besides contacting Audi and waiting to jump through the hoops to what seems like mixed results, who has had success with repairing and then having a reliable vehicle? It seems like really stupid money to spend at this point and Im one and done with the Audi family. Any other lawsuit info would be appreciated. It ended up being my fiance's daily driver, we have another baby on the way, and this puts me upside down on this vehicle by thousands even if I take the hit to repair it and then not be able to recoup the money ever.

Help!

Old 03-29-2018, 02:43 PM
1st Gear
Default Timing Chain Woes

I'm absolutely sick about my unfortunate inclusion in this group. I have 2012 A5 with 110k. Nicest car I've ever owned and I receive compliments on it everywhere I go. I've now experienced that same problems that have been listed in this thread.- modest oil consumption about 10k miles ago - then a brief stint of rough running - typically at low RPM, then the CHECK ENGINE light goes on, so I shut off the car almost immediately - never to have it run again. Tried to start it and nothing - doesn't even really sound like it's cranking.... Had it towed to a reputable local service station and they gave the same information shown in this thread. Jumped timing, valves and pistons in a battle with neither winning..... Long and the short - I was told $12,300 for a long block.... Not even a new engine - a new block - and removing most of my components to go ON that block...

I'd be happy to join a class action suit.... $12,000 isn't something I just have 'lying around'....

Old 03-30-2018, 11:33 AM
1st Gear

Everyone that is in this boat that has a CAEB engine.

Please do some research and look at the CPMA/CPMB engine or the newer year A6 CAEB engines. There is some legwork you will need to do, and a little bit of blind faith... but definitely do NOT buy another USED CAEB engine which will have a high chance of having the same OIL CONSUMPTION issue.
And I don't know about you... I would be hesitant on buying a new CAEB longblock from Audi for 8-10k, and have them tack on all that labor to install it. Wouldn't you rather just put that money down on a new AUDI? (lol)

AUDI repair is very similar to LEGO building, they will find the part that matches... and bolt the part on. But the part must be the EXACT part designated for that engine.
While this is typically a good idea for well-designed parts, sometimes it's a good idea to step back and analyze the situation.

So... my point:
Just a hypothetical situation, so don't take it literally...
What if the 2018 A4 came with a stainless steel bolt with the same exact thread/pitch size? In their mindset, to replace your 2011 A4 rusted nickel alloy bolt with the newer SS bolt would be a travesty... simply because it has a different part number.

This is my argument for those with this problem. Look for the CPMA/CPMB motor, or even the newer CAEB motor in the A6 if you are weary of the engine code differences.
1) Yes, they did some internal changes (they realized they mucked up big-time with the CAEB motor). Why would you want to replace your motor with no internal engine changes?
2) Yes, there are some parts you will need to move from your CAEB motor to the CPMA/CPMB motor (You will need to reuse your stock ECU, harness, intake manifold, etc.)
3) Yes, almost all dealerships and repair shops will only recommend that you replace with the same ENGINE CODE, of the same year/model.... so you will have a uphill battle.
4) But most importantly, YES... it will work.

Old 06-19-2018, 02:37 PM
Default HELP mine too

Hi I own a 2012 A5 and my timing chain just failed/. I have had oil consumption issues and they first blamed the water pump (which I replaced) after less than a year that water pump failed again. Brought it back in they replaced the cam bearing ladder and the water pump. I paid for all of this.

I kept bringing it in because the oil light kept turning on. Two weeks ago my oil light came on and when I went to the gas station to get the oil the engine misfired and bang the timing chain broke.

I did ask twice if that needed to be replaced and was told no.

Audi wants 8000 to fix it and I have fought with corporate only to be told that they will pay half. I have all maintenance records and have done EACH and EVERY maintenance.

THOUGHTS??

Please help

Old 06-21-2018, 12:29 PM
1st Gear

Did you take it to an AUDI dealership to get the work done?

It's AMAZING that they were not aware of the timing chain tensioner flaw for the older CAEB engines. (I am assuming you have a 2.0T). But I didn't know the 2012 models had this problem. I thought they cleared this up by that model year:
https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-...it-settlement/

8000 fixes what? Are they going to replace the block with updated timing belt tensioner and chain?

If you have been able to work down your costs to half... from an actual Audi dealership... then that's not a bad deal. But if you are the original owner, and did all the service there, and they never mentioned doing the 'oil consumption test' for you... then it sounds like something is amiss.

Old 06-22-2018, 04:35 PM

have you done anything yet?

I am gathering people that have the same issue

Old 07-19-2018, 08:48 PM
1st Gear
Default Outraged

So I bought my Audi at 100k miles exactly. BEST car I've ever owned until I heard about this oil consumption problem and the recall. I tried to take it to Audi for them to fix it but they told me I didn't qualify since the recall only covers it up until the 100k mark. Now my Timing Chain needs to be replaced and I need new pistols to "fix" the oil problem. Anyone have any solutions or Ideas? I really **** a class action lawsuit cause I know I'm not the only one with this problem. I even have history from previous owners where it was taken into the AUDI shop itself and maintenanced annually. WHY did they not notify the owner of the recall problem and continue to allow them to drive off the lot without telling them about this recall? Isnt this illegal to know a problem but not let the owner know of it? Someone help me. You can contact me at jeremiahmoreno418@gmail.com

Quick Reply: A5 2.0T Timing Chain Failure