General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

A6 Leaking, water , oil, and Power steering fluid

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 05:03 AM
1st Gear
Default A6 Leaking, water , oil, and Power steering fluid

Hi all,
I'm faced with a dilemma here, Firstly I need to get home ... and I'm stuck 300km from nowhere!
It seems my A6 Avant / Estate V6, 2.6, year 95 is sick.[:'(] She's leaking everything she can leak. I’ve just driven it up from home and perhaps it didn’t like the 3 hour journey. She gone approx 290,000 Km (180,197Mile)
Ok,, I ‘ll try and explain this in laymen terms… Standing and looking into the engine from the grill/radiator/front of the engine.

1) Initially, I had a small oil leak, it’s not leaking a great deal but it’s leaking! From what I can see, after spending a least a good ½ hr removing all the oil present, it looks like it’s coming from where the belts the Perhaps from the gaskets or something… (the big wheel/cog/drive to the high left !) Any suggestions?
2) Secondly, Now, she’s leaking power steering fluid, where.. not sure yet, but I think I will still be able to drive it though, short term naturally… but is there an easy method/ solution to locate the leak.
3) And finally, now she’s leaking water, I filled the bottle up, and once I started the engine it just pumped the water out again… It’s leaking by the bucket load. It looks like it’s coming from the back of the engine at the top. From a gasket perhaps connected to the engine…. I thought once the engine had perhaps warmed up it may slower the leak…. But it didn’t ….. I’ve heard that if you drop an egg yoke in the water bottle this may stop it! Can’t really see what is causing the leak at present as I can’t get to the location as I don’t have any tools with me !

Ok guys….. Any suggestions on the above…. Quick and long term fixes would be appreciated.
Thanks

Old 05-12-2006, 06:56 PM
Default RE: A6 Leaking, water , oil, and Power steering fluid

hey jon im a 1st year apprentice for audi and know bits and bobs, i think the problem with the water/coolant leak is that the coolant pump pulley is no sealed properly poss the same problem with oil pump pulley with causes leaks, power steering fluid not to sure maybe a leak from the power steering master cylinder/ servo. so basically i think you need new pulleys and maybe belt as well hope this has helped

Old 05-13-2006, 12:12 PM
3rd Gear

The oil leak sounds like it may be a camshaft seal. The gear you describe sounds like a camshaft gear. If you dont have an externall power steering leak, check inside the boots for the steering rack. Your rack may be leaking into the boots. For the coolant leak check to make sure that there arent any hoses that have come off or broken on the rear of the engine.

Old 05-17-2006, 08:36 AM
1st Gear

Hi... Well what can I say... I as able to locate the found the leaks... on Friday.. and managed to make it home .. Yippee
The water coolant leakage was coming from the outlet pipes from the engine block itself. These are two steel pipes located at the back of the engine block at the top. It’s hard to see but hopefully it’s the o-rings (30x5mm) that have just hardened .. and not the pipe itself. It’s going to be difficult to get to them as I may have to take off the air intake manifold….
Secondly .. the power steering fluid.. again found this . it was/is leaking from the high pressure rubber hose from the pump, onto of the engine.. right hand side… it looks like the high pressure fitting coupling is leaking .. which will probably mean replacing the entire hose.
Thirdly… the oil leak… thanks for the suggestions.. I think it may be coming from the ones suggested… up by the cam shaft areas….

For reference: To stop the water coolant leakage I used this expensive “stop radiator leakage fluid”… It worked of about 60miles (100Km) and then I had to stop and fill up with water again… I made it to another garage… where I bought a cheap version…. This managed to do the trick better than the expensive version… It got me home… I’m loosing a bit of water… but nothing major for now…
I’ve booked the car in at a garage this weekend… so hopefully all the above will get fixed…
Thanks all.

Old 05-17-2006, 08:58 AM

sounds like you had some fun there, the hose for the power steering is a common thing to go especially if it was lose because its under a lot of pressure and vibrates on the engine then it wares so a new pipe will be required because you cant repair it, the rest are simple enough to fix