General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

abs problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 06:25 PM
Default abs problem

hi people, i have a problem with my abs.the abs light on the dash stays on and i have a ! flashing all the time ,my car is a a6 quattro estate 1998 model hope someone can help me ta baz

Old 08-09-2006, 08:54 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: abs problem

I have the same on my 2000 A6. From my investigation the ABS is made up of two components - Hydrolic and computer. The computer is malfunctioning and can be rebuilt. There are a number of places in the states and 1 or 2 in Ontario where you can send in the ABS controller and they will repair it and send it back for approx $250US. You can drive the car without the ABS but know you are driving with regular brakes. I looked a removal process for the ABS component and it looks imposing unless you have proper equipment (removal of the front inside vendor etc).

I haven't done anything with mine yet; but the flashing light is agravating at best and down right annoying most of the time. Let me know if you find a way to turn the ABS and blinking E-brake lights off. Sorry, not much help - just comfort in misery.

Old 08-11-2006, 09:35 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: abs problem

First off make sure you have enuf fluid in the brake fluid reservoir. Then attemp to check the faults in the abs control module. No response from the module will be wither a bad fuse/wiring problem, or a failed module. The module isnt all that hard to replace. Fender removal is not required. You have to remove the lines on some models which requires brake bleeding. On others you can remove the 13mm bolts that hold the abs unit to the bracket. Then you can use a t30 torx to remove the electical portion of the unit. Loosening the ps reservoir and the washer solvent reservoir may help with the tight space issue