General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

advice for a newbie please

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 02:49 PM
Default advice for a newbie please

Hi to all, i'm new to this forum having just bought an audi 80 automatic. it's a '92 2.0e. i think it's 8 valve

here's the story so far........

got it on sunday and drove it home. 45 miles all seemed good. slight water leak but nothing too major. it looked to be the thermostat housing. on it there are 2 sensors (multiplug)

since then i drove it on monday ok, on tuesday all i did was fit my stereo using the 2 plugs in the dash. i didn't start it up because i didn't need it.

today i have gone out to it, tried to start it and nothing!!!![:@]

it turns over, i presume getting petrol because i can smell it.

so, i have checked the wiring just in case i had disconnected any of the gearbox sensors for the the auto by mistake. all seems well, the brake/box mechanism seems ok as i can hear it engaging when i press the brakes.

just a thought on this, does it affect the starting if there is no water circulating around the thermostat sensors??? the leak has virtually drained the system.

also on closer inspection there is another leak somewhere under the car which i cannot see without lifting it.

I fear i may have bought a lemon instead of the usual reliable Audi which i intended to buy.

any help on this would be greatly appreciated, and it won't mean me getting rid of it.

cheers