General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Airbag Light

Old 11-01-2007, 04:31 PM
Default Airbag Light

I have a 2004 A4 wagon and every now and then the airbag light will pop on when I start the car and it will stay on until I stop and shut it off. The car normally sits for over a half hour before it is driven again and then there is no light. Is there something that could be causing an intermittent problem? When I had it in for a regular service the other day nothing showed up on the computer at the dealership. It happened again this afternoon but my wife did not have the opportunity to drive down to the dealership when it was on -- the service guy indicated that based upon starts, stops, time and miles drive the computer deletes certain codes and even if she brought down Monday morning it would probably already be gone. Is this right?

Old 11-01-2007, 04:36 PM
Default RE: Airbag Light

You will have to get the car checked when the light is on, meaning it is throwing the code at that point.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:47 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Flip

You will have to get the car checked when the light is on, meaning it is throwing the code at that point.
they're still should be some history info... when it comes to airbags... its non violitile data and is stored permanently until removed.

its curious tho... the bad thing tho.... regardless of the problem... when that light it on... your air bags will not work. you gonna have to bring it in and tell them your having this issue and you want it investigated. may cost alot in diagnosis time.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:01 PM
4th Gear

get the codes. first thing to do, i had the same issue turned out it was the SRS computer being loose.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:05 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: SAudi

get the codes. first thing to do, i had the same issue turned out it was the SRS computer being loose.
thats bad..... thats very very bad. they're are sensors in that ECU that could deploy the airbags. the older the car actually the easier it is to trigger too

Old 11-03-2007, 11:54 AM
3rd Gear

The sensors in the airbag are secondary. They alone cannot trigger the airbags. The airbag control module needs a crash sensor to indicate a crash. It then uses the sensors in the module to verify that there is infact a sudden decelleration.

You reall do need to get the faults looked at before any further diagnosis can take place.

Old 11-03-2007, 06:28 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: dankhound

The sensors in the airbag are secondary. They alone cannot trigger the airbags. The airbag control module needs a crash sensor to indicate a crash. It then uses the sensors in the module to verify that there is infact a sudden decelleration.

You reall do need to get the faults looked at before any further diagnosis can take place.
by design yes, but they're are many stories that fly around of even techs that mess w/ the abs module accidentally deploy the airbags.

better safe thansorry...

Old 11-03-2007, 07:24 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: tHe kNiGHt FaLL

ORIGINAL: dankhound

by design yes, but they're are many stories that fly around of even techs that mess w/ the abs module accidentally deploy the airbags.

better safe thansorry...
that why when i did this i pulled the battey (had the radio code obviously) and let the car sit for 30 minutes so the seconday power supply would drain for the airbag before i open anything.