General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Almost got killed: brakes and air condition not working when on cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 10:45 AM
1st Gear
Exclamation Almost got killed: brakes and air condition not working when on cruise control

Hi everyone,

I have a strange, and dangerous problem with my Audi A3 Sportback, 8V, 1.4 TFSI (March 2013) and I was unable to find any other similar problem on the forum or the internet.

Very often, when I activate a cruise control (faster then 130 Km/h), after some period of time, like 1-2 minutes, brakes just stop working as brake pedal starts to be hard/stiff as a rock. At the same time, air condition stops working (air is not cold anymore - just blows the air from the outside). Not sure what is a connection between these two problems...

These are the ways how to bring the brakes and air condition back to normal when this happens:
- If I deaccelerate below ~130 Km/h by decreasing the cruise control speed, brake pedal and air condition are back to normal.
- If I hit the brake pedal like a maniac, after ~2 seconds, brakes starts to be soft again, brakes start to work and air condition starts to blow cold air
- If I deactivate the cruise control with the cancel button, brakes starts to be soft again, brakes start to work and air condition starts to blow cold air

I don't need to say that I'm not using the cruise control anymore, as this is a very dangerous problem... I almost crushed with a truck on the highway when this happened for the first time as truck entered my lane and I couldnt brake. I was not expecting this kind of problem with a car, especially with an Audi.

Did anyone hear of a similar problem? My car was checked by the official Audi service, but no error codes where found, and they don't know why is this happening yet.

Thanks,
Damir