General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Audi A3 1.8T Engine Problems Need Help!

Old 03-15-2011, 12:47 PM
1st Gear
Default Audi A3 1.8T Engine Problems Need Help!

Hi,

About a month after buying my Audi A3 1.8T I have had my Engine Management Light on, I have taken it to countless garages to get diagnostics done each one of them giving me a different answers;

Garage 1: Give me the conclusion – Cam Shaft may be Loose

Garage 2: Timing Belt was out of spec (had this changed since it needed doing anyway this didn’t solve the problem)

Garage 3: Done diagnostic test and looked around my engine, I got the following error code
16396 - Bank 1: Camshaft A (Intake): Advance Setpoint not Reached (Over-Retarded), the guy explained that my "variable valve timing solenoid /actuator" or describe it as (the tensioner for the timing chain between the two camshafts on the rear of engine) needed changing and this is also the problem why my engine makes a small ratterling noise when it starts up from cold.

My girlfriend can get me parts for half price from any dealer, what I need to know is what this part is called exactly as this garage have quoted me £600 for the part and labour, any other advice or insight into this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Martin