General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Audi A4 2.6 V6 B5 Auto 1995,Tranny & Overheating Problems.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 07:05 AM
Unhappy Audi A4 2.6 V6 B5 Auto 1995,Tranny & Overheating Problems.

Hi,posted this ad in the wrong section earlier,I have a transmission problem with my Audi A4,the T/Bar on the auto box is just going up and down when I try to select a gear wont engage in any gears?I can hear the g/box clicking when I turn on the ignition key.And when its ideling after afew minutes the water is bubbling furiously out of the water tank with the cap of,Head gasket or Thermostat?
I was told the thermostat is behind the timing cover,what side and where exactly?I have only just recently bought this car,as is,its only got 130,000 kms on the clock and the car is in immac conddition,Thanks in advance,
Cheers AudiDom.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:34 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by AudiDom
Hi,posted this ad in the wrong section earlier,I have a transmission problem with my Audi A4,the T/Bar on the auto box is just going up and down when I try to select a gear wont engage in any gears?I can hear the g/box clicking when I turn on the ignition key.And when its ideling after afew minutes the water is bubbling furiously out of the water tank with the cap of,Head gasket or Thermostat?
I was told the thermostat is behind the timing cover,what side and where exactly?I have only just recently bought this car,as is,its only got 130,000 kms on the clock and the car is in immac conddition,Thanks in advance,
Cheers AudiDom.
On the overheating part I would check the thermostat and the water pump.
As far as the tranny not getting into gear, are you getting all lights on the dash where the gear selection is displayed? If so it could be the TCM has water/moisture in it (from recent rain); on my 2000 A6 it is located under the front passenger seat, under the carpet. If not then maybe the linkage needs to be adjusted.

Old 02-21-2009, 04:52 AM

Thanks for that info zippy gg,on what side is the thermostat located can I see it if I take off the timing covers?Yeah I'm getting all lights on the dash o.k when the ignition is on,the linkage underneath the car seems to be working o.k will check the adjustment, I saw a box the other day under the front mat on the drivers side.What is the TCM?
Where can I buy a good workshop manual for my A4?Thanks,
Cheers AudiDom.