General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

AUDI A4 problems?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 11:53 AM
1st Gear
Default AUDI A4 problems?

Hi all.

On Monday I got myself 2002 Audi A4 1.8T Quatrro - loving it!

Car works just fine and when I was buying it only thing that was "wrong" was message that the brakes are worn... that was fine, will change them soon, car still breaks no problem, so no worries there.

Today while driving orange engine light came on it's not flashing btw.

When I click option Check on the dashboard the only message I get in the end of the test is that the breaks and worn, no other messages about engine and engine light still stays on?!

I've read on few websites that it's common for Audi a4's to throw engine light due to many, many sensors in the car.

Is there anything I can check or do myself before I will bring it to a garage and connect it to a computer?

Like I said the car goes perfect, engine nice and smooth, gearbox perfect, no noises, rattling etc. ( just brakes obviously ).

Oh, another thing; I don't know if that a bad thing or not since that's my second car only but when I start the engine rpms go to 1000 and when I press brake revs go down to around 900 and I can feel on my foot that the brake is "pushing" my foot back up?!

I would appreciate any comments and ideas.

Thank you!

Old 03-19-2014, 04:00 PM
2nd Gear

Welcome!
Let's start with this-the "check" diagnostics function will only perform a check on a handful of systems (brakes, oil level, oil pressure, washer fluid, a few others).

The check engine light (CEL) really could be about a billion things- vacuum leak, random misfires, fuel systems, airflow, catalytic converters, etc. You will need to hook it up to a code reader or computer for any diagnostics.

Autozone or Advanced Auto usually will scan the car for free and give you the error code-you can look it up online for common causes of that particular error in these cars, or post back here on the forums (in the B6 subsection) for some help.

Hope that helps-good luck!

Old 03-20-2014, 06:03 AM
1st Gear

I will be ordering one of those obd2 readers... Don't think it's anything serious, like I said car works perfect... Thanks!