General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Audi Q5 Side Mirror Casings Melting

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 06:59 PM
1st Gear
Default Audi Q5 Side Mirror Casings Melting

Has anyone else had the problem of the outside side mirrors casing "melting" on their Audi? The casing on the outside mirrors on both side the vehicle are warping/melting. The dealership it was purchased from sent out an adjuster to look at them, and claims they have never had this problem before and it has nothing to do with the heating element in the casings. They claim it is due to external influence like a car wash. I find this odd as it is only on the mirror casings and no where else on the vehicle, and the paint and casing itself is buckled and looks like it is melting. Anyone know of something like this? I would attach photos but they are too large of a file to post on this site.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:24 PM
1st Gear

Temperature sensor, could be the problem. Full heating should be on only for a couple of minutes (2-3), after that...reduced and, if condition are right (outside temp> critical value), stopped. This considering that nobody modified their electrical structure.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:51 PM
1st Gear

Yes, yes, yes! I just brought my Q5 back this morning for the exact same problem. Dealership claims they've never seen this issue but should be covered under warranty. Pics are attached. Does anyone have other ideas why this could have happened? The car is less than 2 months old and under < 1K miles. Thanks,

Attached Images   

Last edited by Jazz1; 02-17-2015 at 04:35 PM.
Old 04-26-2023, 07:56 PM
1st Gear

I have similar issue with my 2019 Audi E-tron. Which dealership that fix yours under warranty. My dealer refuses to fix it under warranty.

to repair under warranty.

Originally Posted by Jazz1
Yes, yes, yes! I just brought my Q5 back this morning for the exact same problem. Dealership claims they've never seen this issue but should be covered under warranty. Pics are attached. Does anyone have other ideas why this could have happened? The car is less than 2 months old and under < 1K miles. Thanks,

Old 04-26-2023, 08:08 PM
1st Gear

Did you get it repaired under warranty? Which dealership?

Old 04-26-2023, 08:10 PM
1st Gear

Did you get it repaired under warranty? Which dealership?

Originally Posted by AudiOwnersAsst
Has anyone else had the problem of the outside side mirrors casing "melting" on their Audi? The casing on the outside mirrors on both side the vehicle are warping/melting. The dealership it was purchased from sent out an adjuster to look at them, and claims they have never had this problem before and it has nothing to do with the heating element in the casings. They claim it is due to external influence like a car wash. I find this odd as it is only on the mirror casings and no where else on the vehicle, and the paint and casing itself is buckled and looks like it is melting. Anyone know of something like this? I would attach photos but they are too large of a file to post on this site.